Chapter Thirty-Six

An hour. Meg had an hour to gather information before Eros swept her away and returned her to Claudio.

Claudio. The pissy demon who awaited her at home.

If he'd been tempted to tie her up in bubble wrap and leave her in the bathtub before, she knew for certain what was coming for her now.

An hour. She could do this in an hour.

So long as the God decided to be reasonable.

His look didn't change when Eros evacuated the room. Ares simply tilted his head to the side. She got the sense he was assessing her. So she gave him nothing to go off.

At least Kyra would be proud.

Eventually, he pursed his lips. Whether he'd figured anything out or not, she didn't know. She couldn't let him know that she cared either.

An hour.

Let's see what I can do.

"I believe you have a war to tell me about," Ares said. He was confident in the matter too.

Stupid Gods. He was already playing games, seeing what he could get out of her. But Meg would reveal nothing. Nothing beyond what he needed to know.

She wondered how much Eros had shared. There was only so much he could share, considering the war meeting they'd had in Claudio's castle had been bound by a mystical NDA.

Which meant this God had acquired this knowledge in some other sort of way.

"It's not widely known," She answered. "We've been trying to keep it hushed."

The less that got back to Nadine the better.

Hopefully the bitch was still out of the know, but Meg wouldn't cross her fingers.

"We as in you and the demon King," Ares surmised. Her face didn't give anything away, so he probably guessed she was confused. "There're few things happening right now that I don't already know about Megan." So very, very smug. With a dashing smile, he gestured towards a door. "How about you and I take a walk?"

He'd play as many games as he could.

Megan followed after him silently, entertaining him as far as she was willing. She listened as he described the many random sights around them, all the while making towards the gardens. She had to admit the place was woefully beautiful. In an elegant way. It didn't quite have that same homey, woodsy beauty of Claudio's castle.

Surrounded by greenery and fountains, Ares led her along into the warm air, where butterflies and bees surrounded them.

"So this war. Tell me about it."

Here was where she had to be careful. She didn't know how much he knew, so she could only tell what she was comfortable giving away.

Game face Meg.

At the same time, she had to take account of his alliances. This man was Eros' best friend. A friend Eros claimed to trust with his life. Nadine was an enemy of Eros. By that logic, she'd be right to assume Ares would be taking their side on this.

That was a logic she could roll with.

"I assume you know my history if you claim to know so much already," She started. "You know that I was in the heavens, had my wings removed with hellfire and then was pushed to the lake of angels."

She was proud of herself at the same time. Proud she'd been able to say it all so casually. Proud she hadn't let on exactly how much the memories still hurt.