Chapter Forty-Eight

She was fast asleep when he found her, curled up into a little ball in one of the Amazon's hammocks. He'd never been so glad to see her looking so uncomfortable, a reminder that she was just the same as he was.

He could hardly sleep right without her sleeping next to him, her body curled around his throughout the night.

Seeing her like this was a sight he'd sorely missed.

Never again.

They'd never go another night without each other again. He'd make sure of it.

He lifted her carefully from the hammock, working as gently as he could in a bid to not wake her up. His heart fluttered when she cuddled into him, seeming to relax more in an instant. He pressed a kiss to her hairline, vowing there'd never be this distance between them again.

"That's it love. Trust me."

The plan was to get her out of the fortress and back to the portal jumper before she woke up. She'd have less chance to argue then.

He knew she'd wake up the second he slammed his fist down on that button.

The less struggle the better.

"I'm going to make this all better," He promised, carrying her down the steps and through the building.

He grimaced at the loud sound of chattering, praying she wouldn't wake up, holding her tighter as if to cocoon her from it.

They were outside before he knew it. The fanning of a warm breeze against her skin was enough to wake her up.

Now, he would count on her grogginess until they were out of the gates.

"Claudio?" Her hand fell to his armour-clad chest as she tried to sit up. "What's happening?"

"Nothing to worry about love."

"Where are we?"

She peered at the darkness surrounding them, too confused to figure any of it out.

"I'm taking you on a romantic midnight stroll. Go back to sleep love. I'll wake you up when we're there."

"Mmm, that sounds nice."

"It does, doesn't it?"

He'd bank that for a real date when all of this was done with.

As she sighed against his chest, he fumbled with the portal jumper, struggling to get a grip on it whilst keeping her comfortable.

"Wait, I have to—Claudio. What are you doing?"

His girl was coming to her senses.

"You'll thank me for this."

"Don't you dare."

He dared.

She had no time to charm him. He hit the button, sucking both of them up in a blur. They didn't reappear outside his castle as she'd expected.

Instead, they were in a forest of sorts, where it was dark and warm.

Hang on. Meg knew this place.

"Claudio? I—"

He let go.

Dropped her.

No. He flung her.

Before her senses could catch up, water invaded her bubble. He'd thrown her into the lake. The very same lake he'd found her in. The lake she never thought she'd have to go back to.

What is—?

She flapped around, confusion hitting her, darkness all around. The water was cold. A nice cold. Still an unfamiliar cold.