I'm Back!!

Octo

Octo

I sat in a heap on the soil next to mom, watching her work her garden magic. There were beads of sweat slowly dripping down from her forehead to her chin, subsequently dripping onto the strawberries she was harvesting.

"Oop. Mom you're sweating all over the strawberries." I helpfully pointed out. She pushed a strand of hair out of her face and glanced up at me. I gave her a pointed look.

"You're so helpful sometimes Octopie. Anyways, take this and put it on the deck. Come right back you hear?" she placed a basket in my hands and pointed me in the direction.

I nodded and scurried off. The deck wasn't too far, it was just right around the house at the back. It's where the fruits and veggies went to hide. I put them down gently and hurried back.

Mom was now plucking the ripe tomatoes at a rapid pace and leaving them in a pile beside her. She made a point of not telling me what to do sometimes, so I got myself a basket and got straight to picking up the soiled fruit.

A car rumbled by on the road next to us.

"So, nervous?" mom asked finally. I knew this conversation was gonna happen soon.

Admittedly I was. I mean who wouldn't be, it's fucking PARE QUENTIN. The best finishing school for Caregivers and Littles alike. It's actually a really huge deal that I got accepted, even if I don't let it show.

"Yeah kinda. It's like a warm feeling all over my gut. Not at all pleasant. But I'm also....excited...weirdly. I don't know why." I told her.

She laughed lightly and let out a sigh. "Mhm, Quentin will do that for you. I remember when I got in. I lost my appetite the whole month leading up to orientation. I miss those days honestly"

I paused. "Mom? You went? Wow wh- this is the first I'm hearing of this!" I smiled widely. She grinned as well but it faltered slightly.

"Yep. About 14 years ago, if my memory serves me well. Though I don't talk about it much because the whole....experience left a bad taste in my mouth." she explained soberly.

I rolled back on my heels and crossed my legs, all interest in gardening long gone. What did she mean by it left a bad taste in her mouth? Did something really bad happen there?

"Aww what happened? If the staff were mean or anything then I won't go. I can't support a system that failed my mom" I said firmly, crossing my arms.

She gave a small smile and continued to pluck the tomatoes. Did she not feel like answering? But I really have to know!

Eventually she huffed and turned to face me. "I can tell you aren't going to let up anytime soon so I'll give you some of my back story." Great!

"I go into the school at the big age of 15. My parents were so proud of me, and  was rather proud of myself. On the first day of school though, when I first met the people I would be spending the next 4 years with....safe to say I felt quite embarrassed."

"Why, what was wrong with them? Were they racists!?" I asked with wide eyes.

"Oh, silly. That's a....weird..assumption to make- but anyways no it wasn't that. They were very...whiny and stuck up and snobbish. They made me feel bad about being who I was"

"What?" I scoffed. "No one should ever make you feel bad about being a Caregiver. Trust me."

She went quiet for a minute, a lost look on her face. I put my hand on hers and gently patted it, flashing her a warm, reassuring smile.

Soon she snapped back to reality and shook her head as if just realizing something. She settled her hand on mine.

"Oooh Octo dear. Whoever told you I was a Caregiver?" she said sweetly.

"Wha-? Then....what are you?" I pressed on. But before she could reply the back door swung open and Tuck bumbled out, running towards us.

"Octo! Octo! You need to go and get dressed!! You have an orientation by 12!" she explained between breaths. My eyes widened.

"What!!?? Seriously!? Today!?" I exclaimed, scrambling to my feet. She grabbed my hand and rushed me back into the house. I nearly tripped over my feet severally.

"Yes! It was in the letter apparently but I guess you didn't read that far. Don't worry we have enough time to get you ready. It's only what, 11:15" she added.

"Huu..huff. Gosh that was scary." I mused. I could feel my heart rate slowly going back to normal. We climbed up the stairs to my bedroom and she pulled open the closet doors.

If this was an orientation then that meant there'd be other littles and CGs there. As I mentioned earlier, I was more than a little nervous. Hopefully Tuck could find me something decent enough that I wouldn't give a bad first impression.

Right now she was flitting through my dungarees that I folded and kept at the very back of the closet. She seemed caught between the washed out light blue ones and the faded black ones. I easily helped her out with that decision.

"I think I'll take the black ones. I can style them better." she rolled her eyes and set them aside. 

"Now normally I would totally support you wearing your 'Edge lord Assassin' tee, but they can't see that fake tattoo on your upper arm. So wear this instead." she said and pulled out  a light grey, snug jumper. It was ripped in a few places but..eh I don't really care.

She peered at the clock on my table. "We'll be out in 10. Get ready and wait downstairs." was the last thing she said before she disappeared into the hallway.

I gazed at myself in the mirror. The corners of my lips pulling up slightly.

 The corners of my lips pulling up slightly

"Aww shit...." I breathed out. "Here goes nothing" 

Editor's Note

This chapter is dedicated to @weeb_haha. Thanks for asking for an update when you did, it really pushed us to get back into this book. Hope you enjoyed this chapter :)