Chapter 13

Octo

Octo

So the good news is the tour was over. Hurrah! 

The last few places we visited were the cafeteria- this large hall with tables and chairs. -the assembly hall, for assemblies, most of our classrooms, and finally our wing. The Winter Wonderland. 

It really was decked out like one. Snowflakes dangled from the ceilings and fuzzy snowballs littered the ground. I didn't get to see my room though, because our time was up.

Now the bad news; I'm really hungry. 

Unna led us back down the stairs and into a lounge room. I guess this was where they sent Mom and Philo after I left. Speaking of Philo...

"Octo! Over here!" she waved her hands wildly from across the room. My cheeks flushed in embarrassment as I walked hurriedly over to her.

They were sitting on a long couch with all of my bags, Philo holding a large bagel in her hand. Mom gave me a bone crushing side hug as I sat down. "So, how was the tour? You guys were gone for ages!" she asked excitedly.

I shrugged my shoulders "It was okay. Pretty standard stuff. I saw my wing, but there wasn't enough time to see our actual rooms." Mom nodded. "Alright, well, I think we have some time to ourselves before you've got to officially be checked into your room and start classes. How about a muffin?"

All of a sudden I felt a sadness wash over me.

"No, thanks. Dad packed something for me already." I replied, getting up to grab my lunchbox off the ground. Surprisingly the bag was still warm.

I unzipped it and peered in. "Pizza rolls!" I exclaimed as I carefully took them out of their tinfoil wrapping. The heavenly smell of cheese, mushrooms and tomato sauce wafted up my nose.

"So. Dad told us about a friend you made during the orientation. " Mom asked as I had just put three rolls into my mouth.

I turned and glared at her. Then- while making eye contact- slowly chewed each one and swallowed. She gave me an amused smile.

"Yeah her name is Cecile." I turned back to my food. She kept on talking. "Oh, Cecile? You don't hear that many people with Cecile these days."

I shrugged. "I actually ran into her during the tour. We chatted. I think she's nice."

"Good for you, then. It's about time you brought someone else to the house." she rolled her eyes.

"What, are you sick of my friends?" I feigned hurt. 

"Well let's see. Ike is nice enough, but he always insists on  playing your video games in the living room downstairs. Then never cleans up afterwards." she started.

"Well, that's because whenever we play video games upstairs, Tuck so happens to be studying and can't stand us being loud. So really-" I pause to take a bite of my pizza roll. "He's doing her a favor."