Charlie

Octo

Octo

"Hi! I'm my name is Cecile!! What's your name?" she asked excitedly. 

"I'm...my name?" I repeated. She nodded, grinning. "Octo. Nice to meet you then"

"Octo! Funny name! What are you doing in here Octo?" she dwelled briefly on my name before jumping to the topic of discussion.

I scratched my head, not sure what to tell her. I wasn't exactly hiding. From who? Maybe I should just say that. "I'm hiding out in here. I got bored"

She rolled back on her heels and pursed her lips. "Bored? Why would you be bored? Sorry about that." she rambled.

"Well it's not really your fault. I'm guessing. It's just....this whole thing is so long and boring. I wish I could just go home honestly." I admitted.

We were silent for a while. I almost started getting uncomfortable. Then she finally piped up.

"We should leave now. It's very rude to hide out in the potty. I think." she seemed rather sober. Also is it just me or is she acting a bit kiddish.

"eeh see I actually don't care all that much." Weirdly, I almost felt bad telling her that. She opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted when the bathroom door swung open.

In walked a boy with a really worried expression on his face. He had dark brown hair and a face like a rabbit. He looked quite similar to Cecile, that's her brother isn't it?

"Cecile? What are you still doing in.." he trailed off when he saw me, then he made an 'oh' face and nodded. "So this is where you've been."

"Charlie! Look at my new friend Octo. He's the one with the really nice daddy. Remember?" She all of a sudden regained her earlier vigor. He smiled sweetly and held her hand.

"Yeah I remember.' Then he turned to me "It's so nice to meet you Octo! Are you little right now?" he asked softly. I frowned, then realized it was a normal question to ask someone that looked the way I did.

I sighed "No sir." 

"Alrighty then. Come along" He beckoned me over and I obliged "Let's get you back out there. You two are missing out on all the fun!"

"Octo said he thought it was boooring. It's true I heard him!" Cecile ratted me out. Charlie raised his eyebrows and glanced at me.

I shrugged and gave him a matter-of-fact look. "Yeah, I mean it's like...I've been to dozens of these types of stuff and they really don't get less boring."

He steered us past several people and back to the seating area. "Feels bad buddy." he paused for a second. "Everyone has different tastes in the end."

That left me puzzled but we'd already reached my aisle. " See you Octo. Say bye-bye, Cecile!" She smiled broadly and waved enthusiastically at me. "Bye-bye Cecile!!"

They moved off to their seats and I crept into mine. Tuck, as I suspected, was fast asleep on Dad's shoulder. He watched me get settled and jerked his head as if to say 'well? where've you been?'

"Bathroom." I mumbled. Funny how that was the last thing I'd said before I left. He rolled his eyes (at least attempted to) and dropped the whole conversation. That was absolutely fine by me.

I looked to the stage, where M'Figgins was a lone again. Now, displayed on the screen behind him, was a picture of about 4 little children. Well actually they looked more between the ages of 15 ad 21. I digress.

"Those are their childhood friends. Tanya, Doris and Sal." Dad explained. I nodded.

Turns out this was just a slideshow of this person's childhood and life before they started this Institution.

I groaned loudly and slumped down in my seat. Checking the time on my phone, I saw it was now 1:25.

"Bruh"

- - - - - - - - - -

FINALLY that fucking thing was over. At this point I don't even care about the important shit they said. I mean who does? I just wanna go back home.

After that though, we were told to go to the next room for refreshments. The spread was honestly great; Sandwiches, pies, smoothies, cakes, salads, soups and even some wine.

Tuck and I slid into some seats quickly before someone else took them. We sat there for a while, as other people bustled around gathering plates of food.

I started getting a bit of confused. Tuck looked to the left, then right. "Hey are we supposed to...be here?"

I observed for a while before letting my thoughts be known. "No? Call me crazy, but I think we're meant to serve our own food." Even if we weren't I felt very uncomfortable just sitting here at this wide empty table.

Dad spotted us and waved. We scrambled up and ran to meet him. 

"What were you two waiting for? A waiter?" He laughed, handing us plates. I proceeded to stack my plate up to the brim with cheese and chicken sandwiches. Safe to say I got plenty of side eyes from other people who also wanted some.

I grabbed an apple smoothie (Ok didn't know those were a thing) and followed Dad back to our seats. Tuck was busy getting into food politics with strangers. Her deal.

"Alright superstar, eat up. Chili wants us home before 6." that's my mom's first name. 

"Ouummk" I mumbled with food in my mouth already.

Spread the good word of Bigger Than This!

See you next Saturday, bye!