Do I Love him...? - Shino (Not angst I promise)

Hey. Sorry I haven't been updating. To get something posted, have a small short story of Shino x Kol. This ship came into being through my wheel spinner of random ships, and it somehow works. I would also like to say, any fanfic I write that includes Shino x Kol, Shino and Artemis will NOT be together, and they will only be friends. I love Artino though. One of the greatest ships. Anyways, I'll try to write some more now that I have a bit of motivation. 

——————

Kol had a new hobby. It wasn't a bad one. But it was a little odd. At first, Kol didn't even notice he was doing it. But after Flex and Ana said he was doing it a lot, he caught on to what it was. Whenever Kol was around Shino, he would find himself casting quick glances at the boy. It was practically a subconscious thing, and Kol never really realized he was even doing it to begin with. According to Flex, he had been doing it for over 3 weeks.

Even though it was a quick glance, almost never any longer than 2 seconds, Kol caught on to small details and habits Shino had. The markings on his hands that occasionally glowed in dark places ever so slightly. The way his slightly wavy hair moved when wind hit it, and the yellow streak that glowed the same way as the markings on his hands did. And the markings near his eyes, that sort of looked like eyeliner or eyeshadow. His eyes. His eyes were a soft, dark, gold. Nothing like fools gold. The kind of gold you would see untouched, deep underground. Pure gold. Real. But Shino was not pure. 

To others, it's easy to miss. So small, you would never be able to tell it wasn't there if you weren't looking for it. Shino lacked love. He gave it out but refused to receive it. He also lacked a sense of childlike wonder. Even though Shino was 17, he thought more like a 23 year old. More rationally and logically. He never displayed heavy emotions. He was almost never curious about things he should be curious about, and was almost never sad about things he should be sad about. When Database passed, Kol thought he would care more. He knew Shino and Database were close. But Shino barely even looked upset. At that moment in time, Shino looked like a blank slate. One that nobody ever wrote on or used. Expressionless, thoughtless, empty. Shino was always good at keeping himself composed. But Kol didn't like it. At that moment, Shino didn't even seem real. More like a doll somebody would play with, then forget about. Maybe Shino already knew he was gone before the announcement. Shino mourns in silence. 

Ignoring that side of Shino, and focusing on things that make Shino, Shino. Kol could never get over his voice. Any chance he could get to hear shino talk, he would take. Shino's voice was hypnotic. Just like the bright gold rings in his eyes. They reminded Kol of the back of a yugioh card. A playing card. Shino would be an amazing storyteller or singer. His voice was like a serenade. Soothing, sweet, and gentle. There was something else to his voice. Some sort of accent. Kol could never tell what kind of accent it was, but it sounded close to a soft british accent. Kol remembered watching Shino's part of the exam. He remembered watching Flex turn into Shino, and try to trick Blake. It made Kol frustrated. Flex had used a hollywood western accent to imitate Shino, and Blake fell for it. Clearly, neither of them payed close enough attention to Shino's voice to know what he sounds like. Flex was better at it now, but Kol refused to let him imitate Shino anymore. He also refused to let Flex turn into him. The only way Kol could see it, was an insult to Shino and his beauty.

Shino could be a model. Any time Kol managed to sneak a glimpse of him, one of the first things he saw was his face. His beautiful face. And his smile. Practically nobody  has ever seen Shino smile showing his teeth, but Kol has. He saw Shino really smile, and it was the realest thing ever. He had even laughed. And that one time, it was whole hearted. Kol heard Shino truly laugh, and saw him give a real smile. And Kol has never felt so happy to take a photo. He wished it was a video, but it was enough. Shino was built special. His body sculpted to fit everything else about him perfectly. But it pained Kol to know that the bones of that body were broken and bruised. Kol still beats himself up for it. He may not have known Shino before Monarch Academy, but he should've protected Shino more. He let Metica hurt him, while he sat there and watched. He did as much as he could to help Shino back to base though.

Shino was like the sun. He was vibrant and radiant. He stood out among others. 

Shino was close by. He was leaning against a tree, with a phone in his hands. Everybody else was training, or getting ready to train. Surprisingly, Kol almost forgot how well Shino's hero suit fit him. Artemis was good at making hero costumes. Shino looked up from his phone. He was looking at something. His phone was tucked away in his pocket now, and he took off his mask and hood. Then, almost in an instant, he was standing right in front of Kol.

Kol didn't know how Shino got there. He must have zoned out, and didn't notice him coming over. Shino's face was painted with confusion. His lips were moving too. He was talking to Kol. Then, a hand waved itself close to Kol's eyes.

"Hm?"

"You good? You've kind of been staring at me for a while now..."

"I have?"

"Yeah. Is something wrong?"

"Nope. Just zoned out."

Shino was a little skeptical of his answer, but didn't question it any further. Kol smiled. The two spoke some more, before going to train.

————————-

"You looveeee himmm!" Flex said.

"I do not!" Kol replied.

"You just told us.... About everything you like about him... I think you love him too!" Ana chimed in.

"I... Do I? Is that really what it is?" Kol asked.

"I think so...!" Ana replied.

Kol thought for a moment. It did make sense. He always found a way to stare at Shino or catch glimpses of him, and whenever he got close to Kol, his heart started beating. He even blushed a bit sometimes. Maybe they were right.

"I think you're right." Kol said.

"Can we help set up the date?" Flex asked.

"I- No! He doesn't even know! It's too early for that!" Kol remarked.

"Can we set up the date when he does know?" Ana questioned.

There was a beat of silence.

"...Alright."

Words: 1153