Chapter Twelve

It is an undeniable fact that in the two months I have already covered in these writings, the altering of my previous monotonous life had been tremendous. And, in writing this, I recognize that it only takes a small time frame to completely change a life. And by no means did those changes stop after these two months.

Cate and I have had, just like in every other relationship - however romantically seen or not - certain moments that had been defining for the further course of it. Take me and Gregory for example: the first time we met; our first date; his proposal; our wedding day. And then, with Cate, a course changing moment began to come, as two and a half months in, we had sex for the first time.

As I have stated earlier, the Christmas I would have would bring some change. It was then, when I celebrated Christmas evening with the Upton family, that it happened. And what Cate and I did was so incredibly wrong, but if felt so incredibly right.

__________

After having been invited to Cate's home for the first time, she invited me over a few times more in that month. Those times minus Gregory. It was just her and I again, mostly, not deviating from the things we had done in those first two months: kiss and talk. Perhaps at her place a little bit more of the latter. The kids tended to be around a lot.

In one of those conversations she asked what my plans were for the holidays, and suddenly something popped up in my head.

''I always spend Christmas alone. In crowds.''

She looked at me vaguely, slightly worried, clearly not getting where I'm going at, even with the grin I was trying to hide on my face.

''That's a way to sound depressing,'' She said, ''How about you celebrate it with us?''

''And ruin your family time?''

''Oh please, every year it's the same. We could use some change. And besides, I'm sure they don't mind. In fact, I think they'll love it.''

I looked at her questionably. ''Would they love it or would you love it?''

''The latter goes without saying,'' She smiled. ''But yes, of course. The kids talk about you, you know?''

''Do they?''

''Are you kidding? They're really fond of you.''

''Well look at that...''

Cate smiled and raised her glass.

''So, would you?'' She said.

''Does my husband have to be there?''

''That's up to you.''

''Does your husband have to be there?''

''June,''

''Does he?''

She looked at me for a moment as a subtle smile appeared on her face.

''Of course.'' She answered.

I smiled and raised my glass as well.

''I'd be glad to come.''

''That's settled then.'' She clinked my glass against mine, ''How about that? I can go every which way, you know? Adaptable like water.''

''I can tell,'' I laughed a little as she took a sip of her drink. ''If I didn't know any better I'd say you're truly 'flung out of space'.''

Hastily swallowing her drink, she looked at me with surprised delight.

''You watched the movie?''

''You make a good lesbian.''

''You think so?''