Chapter Twenty eight

There was a party. In between everything that went on at that moment in time - my pregnancy, my doubts about it, my meetings with Gregory - blimey, there was a party.

The invitation came from Cate.

''Will you come? Please?'' She said. ''It is only once a year I age.''

I was at home, talking to her on the phone.

''I am familiar with birthdays. And I am not sure what you say is correct.''

''It is a small party at my house,'' She said. ''There won't be a lot of people.''

''So I should really take it as an honor to be invited?''

''Why of course.''

I thought for a moment. I wasn't all into partying, and the lack of me describing anything of the sort in these pages should give it away.

''Who are the people?'' I asked.

''Well there are my kids. Some of my colleagues. A couple of friends... Two dozen people tops.''

''And me,''

''I would hope so.''

A moment more of thinking before I said my approval, which was met by her blithe response.

A few days later I went over to her place. The kids were with their father, so naturally, being just the two of us, we have examined the bed well. It was after our physical activity that she lay on the bed, the sheets draped over her, holding a book in her hand. Meanwhile I got dressed.

''What do you suppose I should wear?'' I asked as I buttoned my shirt.

''I am sorry?'' She looked up from her book.

''Your party. What should I wear?''

She smiled.

''Whatever you like.''

''You must know my options are limited.''

She looked at me with narrow-eyes and a grin on her lips.

''What do you mean?''

''All of my party attire is dated. I am over it. Plus there will be all these people I don't know. I want to make a good first impression.''

She smiled, almost laughed.

''Don't laugh.'' I said.

''You are making this bigger than it is,'' She said. ''I told you, it is just a small get together. Nothing fancy.''

I was dissatisfied with her answer. She saw right through me.

''What about that purple dress that makes your legs look like stilts?'' She said.

''Too cold.''

''Your jumpsuit. I love that one,''

''It is slightly torn.''

''That pantsuit you wore a few weeks back?''

I shrugged.

''You are not making this any easier.'' She said.

She put her book down, got up, and started to dress herself.

''What are you doing?''

She put her hand up, signaling for me to not say anything. I didn't. I watched her put her clothes on further, and watched her walk over to her closet.

''You are not suggesting I -''

''Just wait,'' She said from inside her closet.

I waited, a smile set on my face, and it must have been a minute later when she returned with a garment in her hands.