Chapter Five

''Who?''

''Baby, please,'' Gregory said. ''Cate Blanchett. The actress!'' He clarified enthusiastically, as if shouting would make it all clear at once. Yes, I knew her name, I knew her profession, and I let that be heard.

''I know who she is and what she does.'' I stated calmly.

''Well apparently you don't.'' He made clear, then directed his focus to Cate. ''Please,'' He gestured invitingly inward. ''Do come in, take a seat, make yourself comfortable.''

As Gregory was already moving about the house, Cate smiled at me and shrugged, and then came inside, following him. In no time we were all seated in the living room, cups of tea and biscuits at our disposal, as Gregory had taken care of it all.

Honestly, I wasn't so much concerned with her status as I was with how he was acting in that moment. He was so attentive to the arrival of his guest. What was it with him that decided she was worthy of his attention? And more importantly, what was it with him that he didn't show that same devotion to me? He most certainly showed he was capable of such considerate actions, and thus proved my puzzlement on that matter solved. So why didn't I get some of his engagement back then?

It probably wouldn't change things, and it would have all ended up in the way it did. But still, a little attention wouldn't hurt.

Once we sat, Gregory immediately began to talk of his admiration about Cate's work. I can recall it got me wondering in that moment: was he really such a film buff? Or was she really that well-known? I soon found out it was the latter. In that moment, however, I didn't think it to be possible. What an idiot would I be then, if it were true, I thought. Well, turns out it was true, and I was an idiot. But enough about my imbecilic unawareness.

I remember sitting there, seeing them talking, and as their words failed to grab my attention for a moment, I was focused on the thought pattern in my own head.

I examined their contrast, for it was one that could obviously be seen. For me, at least. Perhaps not by someone who was unfamiliar with them both. They would only analyze their appearance; and as with Gregory, no feature in his face was extraordinary, but all was just pleasing. As for Cate? Well... Just the thought of her divine features alone: her soft lips; Greek-like nose; strong jaw; hollow cheeks; golden locks; and the uttermost piercing eyes - it would provide any sensible person with a certain type of awe. But their differences didn't stop there.

As I saw Gregory talking, I saw exactly that. But Cate had always something of serenity in her air; of grace in her mien; of refinement in her language, which deviated from anyone else. Something which provided the pleasure of those who looked at her and listened to her, by a sense of admiration, and such was my feeling then. And when she spoke, her soul sat on her lips, and language flowed from a source I could not tell. When it came to Cate in that moment, I was struck with wonder. Spellbound in a way that outwardly sounds barely entered my consciousness.

'' - What do you think?'' I suddenly heard. It was a question aimed at me, presented by Gregory.

''Hm?'' I responded, having been entranced in a way that zoned out their conversation entirely. They both looked at me, and as she was smiling, he took a deep sigh.

''A double date,'' He clarified. ''With Andrew and Cate.''

I turned my gaze to her, trying to identify if what he said really were true, and I found her just as deliberately staring back at me, in wait of an answer.

''Sure,'' I had said rather modest.

''Don't get too excited,'' She responded with a laugh. ''It's only if you want to.''