Chapter Thirty two

From this vantage I don't even know how to call it what we had that evening. A discussion perhaps. A disagreement would sound fitting, too. I wouldn't go so far as to call it an argument, though maybe I am being ignorant.

It started in the evening, so let's fast forward to that bit and skip the morning, afternoon and evening, that consisted of pretty much the same activities than of those the day prior. Even after dinner, when we both retrieved back to our own rooms, we knew what would follow. Or thought we knew.

''I am in something new,'' I said. I was standing in my room in front of the mirror, talking to Cate on the phone.

''Do tell,'' She said, and I could hear the amusement in her voice.

I tugged a little at the lace fabric around my hip and smiled as I looked at myself in the mirror.

''It is not a lot, really...''

I heard a deep hum.

''Hardly worth showing,'' I continued, and I didn't hear anything for a moment.

''Come to me,'' She finally said. ''Now.''

She hung up and I smiled to myself once more before I got dressed. The fortunate chances had it that I left my nightrobe in Cate's room, so I put on the outfit I had on that day.

I opened the door, glanced to my right and left, and crossed the hallway. Three minor steps I took before I knocked on her door. And when I did, the usual head turns began: left, nothing, right, nothing, left, nothing, right, someone.

A person standing at the other end of the corridor, looking at me as blankly as I looked at her.

From a significant distance I could tell she was old. A pair of glasses hang around her neck which she brought up to her face, and right when she did so, Cate opened the door.

''Christ-'' Cate muttered as I pushed her back in and I quickly followed.

I closed the door behind me and didn't breath for a moment.

''June?'' I heard from behind. ''What is it?''

I turned around and met her eyes.

''I saw someone,'' I said. ''Someone saw me. A woman. At the end of the corridor.''

Cate came close to me and gently grabbed my arms.

''Did you know who she was?'' She asked.

I shook my head.

''You haven't seen her before?''

I shook my head again.

''She was old,'' I said. ''And frail... I think she barely even saw me. She was about to put on her glasses and then you opened the door.''

Cate looked at me questionably.

''So really she didn't see anything,'' She said.

''Don't draw conclusions for the sake of reassurance.''

''I am not reassuring anything,'' She turned away from me and sat on the bed. ''I think that you needn't worry if I hear what you just said.''

I crossed my arms and stoically remained in my place. She smiled a little and held out her hands.

''Come,'' She said, and I just stared at her, until I of course made my way over to the bed, sitting myself beside her. She turned to me.

''I have been thinking,'' She said. ''Wondering, mostly. Questioning to what extent our seclusion holds.''

I kept silent so she continued.

''I won't lie by saying I get a thrill out of keeping things hidden...''