Chapter 97

*Trigger Warning: This chapter features school shooting. Reader discretion is advised.* 

Monsters...

When you're a kid, you'd think they hide under your bed, ready to attack you as soon as the light goes out. 
You'd think they hide in the darkness of the deepest forests, or even in the depths of the ocean. 
But those monsters are essentially a myth... 
The real monsters are elsewhere, they exist among us.
And sometimes you're simply unable to recognize them, even though they're standing right next to you.

Liam 

My hand hurts from the series of punches I just inflicted upon Daniel's face, but the feeling is nonetheless satisfying. 
I was afraid of losing Blake, afraid of losing our baby, and now the one primarly responsible for all of this is right in front of me.
Tied to a wooden chair, half dead, Daniel's struggling to keep himself awake. 

"You will be no great loss for the community," I spit the words with venom, "the earth shouldn't bear such monsters as yourself." 

Even though he's been badly injured, Aldo managed to keep him alive after Damian brought him to the trailer park. After he got released from the hospital, Noah told the police that he has no idea what exactly happened, the guy barely remembers anything. The police quickly linked Damian to Pablo's gang, and now they 're assuming that they're both on the loose. 
If only they knew... 

"I'm done playing sick games, I'm done with this shit. Your life ends where mine begins." I pull out my gun and fire a shot. The bullet tears right through his skull, his head tilts back, mouth and eyes wide open. 

My shoulders sag as I stare at his lifeless body. For sure this time is the last time the smell of blood hits my nose, the last time I get my hands dirty, the last time I take someone else's life. 

I put my gun away as I leave the trailer,  and I tell Damian to take care of the body. I have something important to do now. 
I head to another trailer, and I knock on the door before letting myself in. As expected, Shirley is there. She went back to living here when she was dismissed from the hospital. After all, we're all family here. We have no one left. At least that's what I thought before I met Blake. 

"Hey..." She gets up from the sofa to greet me, she asks if I want something to drink but I'm not here for entertainment. I place the briefcase I'm holding onto the table before opening the lock. 

"For the services rendered and your loyalty throughout my journey as your boss." Her eyes widen as she stares at the $50.000 in cash laying in front of her. 

"Liam, I... Wow... I didn't think..." 

"That I would keep my word?" 

"No, not that... There is just... so much money, I..." 

"You helped save my woman, it is priceless. I'd give you more if I could." 

"That's way enough, trust me." 

Silence descends on us, I close the case and give her the code. 

"I will forever be grateful for everything you did, Shirley. I know it's been hard." At those words, she stays silent but I don't miss the dread in her eyes as she looks away. "What are you gonna do now?" 

"Get the fuck out of here to start anew. I'm hoping to find a proper job and to forget about everything that's happened lately." 

I nod silently. She probably has no idea, but that's definitely the best thing for her now. Shirley is a pretty girl, she's no junky, and now that she's got some money, she doesn't belong here anymore.