(17) metanoia

a/n: this is going to be sad, you've been warned. i honestly have no idea what happened when i wrote this, yet i hope you enjoy reading anyways!

✰ ✰ ✰

Stars were sparkling above, yet she wasn't able to recognize and inhale their beauty

Grief had rooted itself deep down in her soul. No matter how much effort she had put into some kind of healing, the dark had already taken over. Her endless sadness didn't have a source, but it had swallowed every single spark of joy in her life.

Days had passed, then weeks. One day, she'd lost track of time.
Time was something unnecessary in her eyes. Just like everything else.

Except the stars.

Every muscle of her aching body felt numb, craving the knowledge of how the second option would feel. It was also known as death.

Her thoughts were interrupted by steps that grew louder as they got closer. Somehow she knew this wasn't a hallucination of her fuzzy brain, it felt more real than anything she'd experienced in the near past, yet she wouldn't get up.

She couldn't.

Steady breaths took the last spark of her focus off the stars, a pair of hands wrapped around her torso and pulled her into that someone's lap.

"[Name]."

That was her name. It hadn't been mouthed in such a long period of time that she'd forgotten it was hers.

A thumb wandered along her slightly protruding cheekbone. A foreign yet familiar scent hit her tired senses as a soft, gentle kiss was pressed to her forehead.

Loki was afraid she'd break in his arms, she seemed so fragile, so vulnerable, so deeply lost in her own soul.

"You're stargazing."

It was an establishment, not a question.

Then, a whisper. Barely audible.

"I don't think I am."

Loki knew. He had recognized it as soon as he attempted to lock eyes with hers. But hers seemed dead, lifeless. Emotionless.

And if he hadn't been aware of the pain, the grief that had rooted itself inside her soul, he wouldn't have been able to even recognize that.

"Tell me anything."

A desire, he thought. A spark of emotion, of herself.

Loki was prepared to sacrifice every second of his near future into getting her back, no matter how hard, how exhausting it would become.

He leaned over to her ear, his breath causing goosebumps to spread over her benumbed body.

„We'll save you," he whispered, intertwining his fingers with hers. They were freezing cold. „Together."

She clasped his fist with her last strength.

„Together."