(29) silent night

a/n: merry christmas my loves <3

✰ ✰ ✰

A knock on his door caused Loki to lift his gaze from his book

A knock on his door caused Loki to lift his gaze from his book. It was Christmas Eve, everyone was supposed to enjoy themselves at the Christmas party hosted downstairs in the Avengers compound, weren't they?

A scoff escaped his lips as he lifted himself from his armchair. Originally, his plans for the evening had consisted out of reading and eventually going to sleep so he wouldn't have to be plagued by loneliness on the holiday relying on spending time with loved ones.

His fingers settled onto the handle of his door, expecting his brother behind it, trying to convince him to join the celebrations for what appeared to be the thousandth time.

Who he hadn't expected was [Name], greeting him with a genuine smile.

"Hey", she breathed, catching the puzzled expression on Loki's face before he regained his composure.

"Aren't you supposed to be downstairs with the rest of the team?"

Despite his first remark about her unexpected presence coming out more snarky than he had intended, she chuckled, sheepishly shifting her weight from one leg to another.

"I've had enough for tonight, if I'm being honest. Had you seriously thought I was going to leave you alone all of Christmas Eve?"

Loki simply shrugged. Maybe he had, though he certainly would've wished for something else entirely.

Silence lingered for a moment before he was able to shake himself from his stupor, gesturing for her to come inside.

The comforting atmosphere of burning candles, of his perfume emanated her as she sat down near his window, peering outside as she smoothed out the fabric of her festive clothing.

"I wish it would've snowed this Christmas", she stated, turning back around to face him. Except for the festive decoration and lights outside, the compound's territory wasn't exactly adding to the holiday spirit.

"I know you're not one for midgardian festivities, but a white Christmas truly would've been magical."

A reluctant smile tugged at Loki's lips as his ears hung on to her dedicated monologue. She sighed, her shoulders slumping.

"Oh, you should've seen your brother! He truly was feeling the festive spirit, more than most of us if I may add, despite being new to our traditions!"

A breathy chuckle escaped her lips as she wondered whether any of her attempts to break the ongoing silence would succeed, or if she should stop trying.

Loki inhaled sharply as he sat down across from her. Had his room became far too warm for his liking within the past few minutes or was his body playing tricks on him?

"Any other particular reason you came to see me?"

"Do I need one?" she countered, chuckling. "Seriously, I came to spend at least some of my time with you tonight. It's Christmas, the holiday of spending time with your..."

Her voice went silent, and she cleared her throat.

"I mean, it wouldn't have been fair if you were to spend all of Christmas eve alone."

Loki's heart fluttered with each word she was saying. She cared? She actually was willing to dedicate her precious time, time she could easily decide to spend with the rest of team, to him of all people?

Meanwhile, [Name]'s gaze had darted to the open book which was placed next to him.

"I interrupted your reading session, am I right?"

She smiled. "Which book were you reading?"

Loki picked up the book, flashing its cover towards her, earning a nod accompanied by a smile.

"Would you mind reading some of it to me?"

His heart jumped in awe, every nerve in his body loaded with excitement. Loki did his best to decelerate the rapid beating in his chest as his fingers flipped open the first page, not wanting her to miss out on any part of the story — as well as her to find out about his sudden elation.

Oh, he was more than willing to read to her.

✰ ✰ ✰

[Name] blinked slowly, her eyelids fluttering. The candles had almost fully lost their gleam, crinkled sheets all that surrounded her. A soft, barely audible groan escaped her lips as she slowly lifted her torso to glance around the room.

How had she gotten here, into bed, when she had... fallen asleep in the armchair across the room? Where had Loki gone?

It was only as the questions entered her mind when she spotted him in front of the window, overlooking the premises outside. She promptly became aware of the blanket draped over her body, its fabric soft against her skin. A faint tingle made its way to her stomach, only causing the warm, fuzzy feeling deep inside her heart to increase.

She carefully attempted to get up from the bed, her movements seemingly catching Loki's attention as he turned to face her.

For a moment, she remained seated on the bed's edge, simply admiring the silhouette of him in the dim lights of the compound whilst he stood here, in the dark. He was looking at her, that much she knew. A faint glistening in his eyes.

"Take a look outside, [Name]."

As soon as her legs had carried her across the room so she was capable of looking outside, she froze in awe.

Snowflakes. Her eyes widened, every ounce of tiredness leaving her body in an instant. A gasp of surprise escaped her lips as she turned to face him, as if to make sure this moment was really happening.

The smile on his lips seemed to confirm it.

"So beautiful..." she breathed, not tearing her gaze off the falling snow which slowly coated the surrounding landscape.

The view was mesmerising, yet the lingering silence caused her to become more aware of how close their bodies were by every passing second.

Out of the corner of her eye, she discerned him catching a quick glance at her from the side, looking away just as fleetingly.

A smile tugged at the corners of her lips, though a part of her tried its best to suppress it. Another part of her perceived the entire moment as if through fog, not being able to tell it apart from her dreams.

And then she felt it.

Her hand. His fingers. First his pinky, gently nudging it. Loki's fingers were cold, slightly shaking even, his movements drenched in hesitation.

Yet as soon as she was certain this moment wasn't just another creation of her imagination, she grasped his hand, feeling his entire body tense slightly as she did.
For a brief second, she contemplated letting go, wondering whether he had truly wanted this in the first place. But when she felt him relax, letting go of a breath he'd been holding, she decided it was time to be brave.

Within the blink of an eye, she'd leaned her head onto his shoulder, continuing to admire the falling white flakes as her fatigued body seemed to melt against his.

"Merry Christmas, Loki."

Silence lingered for a moment.

"Merry Christmas, [Name]."