(21) dancing in the dark

a/n: told y'all the urge to write is high after the trailer for season 2 dropped... anyway, i hope this can remind you of how beautiful others will perceive you in moments you wouldn't ever expect or consider it <3

✰ ✰ ✰

From afar, one might've suspected someone who was simply up very late at night, doing normal things in their room, on their balcony, to be more specific

Yet Loki knew better.

The night had already fully crept in, stars sugaring the sky. He was on his way back into the buildings of the compound. Sometimes, he'd sneak out to stargaze at night, near the forests surrounding the compound's territory, alone, yet never lonely.

As pebbles crunched underneath his shoes, he focused his gaze upwards on the silhouette moving on the only balcony behind whose doors the lights were still on. The closer he got, the clearer the movements of [Name] got.

She wasn't arranging her little flower pots in the middle of the night nor was she trying to fix something, a problem, like one would probably suspect, no.

She was dancing.

As he got closer and her silhouette sharper, more detailed, Loki discovered the headphones she was wearing. They seemed to give her shelter from reality, isolate her from the outside world and allowing her to sink deeper into her own.

For a moment, he stopped himself down there on the path he was pacing forward on, observing her, and her movements, and her body.

The way her head slightly bobbed with each beat she must've been experiencing. The way her hips swayed, from left to right, back and forth. The way she twirled around on her toe tips, her arms up in the air.

There wasn't a specific pattern within her movements, her dancing, yet it was so enchanting in his eyes, seeing her all in her own world. God, she was so caught in whatever song played in her headphones, she was so pretty.

A smile crept up on his lips, followed by a chuckle escaping them as he continued walking, soon enveloped in the familiar scent of the compound's buildings.

His legs somehow carried Loki up the stairs to her room until he stood in front of her door, knocking gently. She didn't answer, obviously, so he pushed down the handle, walking in on her as she was just closing the door to her balcony.

[Name]'s head still bobbed slightly as she walked towards her bed, spotting Loki leaning on her doorframe as she did so. With a surprised expression written all over her face, she pulled down her headphones so they hung around her neck.

"Oh, hi! Didn't expect you here that late", she exclaimed, cheerfully, as she walked over to him, pressing a soft kiss on his cheek.

"Had my reasons." He smiled. "Didn't expect you to still be up, either", he grinned before his expression softened slightly at the thought of her dancing just minutes ago.

"Would you mind sharing the song that gives you the energy to dance so ravishingly next time?"