(22) vulnerability

a/n: (major) angst ahead, you've been warned. this majorly thematises loki's captivity, especially the theory revolving around thanos' torture, after the first thor movie. i'm not entirely sure if the theory has officially been confirmed, but anyway, enjoy reading! <3

✰ ✰ ✰

Black curls ran through [Name]'s fingers, over and over again, gently teasing out the knots that caught in them

Black curls ran through [Name]'s fingers, over and over again, gently teasing out the knots that caught in them. She noticed Loki's breath becoming more even, eventually leading to his eyelids fluttering.

A smile spread across her face as she twisted and tucked his hair, slowly creating a braid. Once fixated, she let her fingers run across his head once more, causing his lips to twitch upwards. Though he usually slicked his curls all the way back, they now fell loosely in front of his face since the braid [Name] had created was rather little. The surface of the skin at his roots felt nearly impeccable, so she realised.

Well, nearly.

"I never noticed this scar of yours", she spoke as she let her finger run across it. It wasn't huge, hardly noticeable, in fact, located just at his hairline, yet she'd been oblivious of it before.

Loki's eyes shot back open, and before she was even able to recognise the sudden tension that shot through his body, his hand gripped her wrist, firmly.

"Don't."

Silence. A frown on her face.

"What...?"

Her voice was still gentle, yet a perplexed expression was written all across her face.

"Please. Don't."

Loki's voice was just as firm as his grip on her wrist, and he had yet to let her go. He squinted his eyes shut, nearly as if he was in pain. She gave her best to gain knowledge about whatever was happening to him through his expression, yet she... couldn't read him.

"Loki?"

All of a sudden, he let her go, only to press his now clenched fists against his forehead as it rested on top of them. His breath seemed to grow louder, more uneven, she heard him swallow and slightly gasp for air afterwards, his eyes still shut.

[Name]'s hand hovered just above his shoulder, hesitant whether she should touch him in attempt to comfort him or not. Just as she decided to settle her hand on his body, hoping to ease his tension of whatever source, Loki abruptly lifted himself off the bed they'd been sitting on.

Now the concern in her eyes could only grow. "Loki?"

His back was facing her, his hands still clenched in fists. Though she now couldn't catch a glimpse of his face anymore, she saw his body moving with each of his ragged breaths.

"What is it?" Her voice was barely a whisper.

A sigh escaped his lips as his eyes darted from across his shoulder. A dull, sudden darkness seemed to seal off the usual teal colour of his eyes, as well as the relaxation, the joy sparkling within them whenever he'd spend time with her.