Chapter 9

Ellie went to bed with all the other kids, covers tucked to her chin, wondering about the day. What did she know about the Twilight Zone? Only what Noah and Amelie had told her.

There were landscapes with tongues.

There was a thing called The Scratch that she wasn't supposed to confront.

They all had their own beds in the place, but they needed permission if they didn't. 

The world they were in felt perfectly homely to the other kids, but to her it was cold and empty. She wondered if Amelie ever felt that way.

She wondered if Amelie had been a mere accident, like she had.

Maybe she was.

Or maybe Ellie was pining for someone like her.

She woke up when the sky was dark, feeling cold and alone. Noah stood above her, looking down.

"Don't scream."

It was Alex, watching her from the other end of the bed.

"Wha-"

"SHHHHHHH." Noah put a finger to his lips.

Ellie got up out of bed and followed Noah out the door, Alex trailing behind them.

"What now?"

"Now," Noah replied, "We find my sister."

"Who's your-"

Alex looked at Noah with a deadpan expression. "He means Amelie."

Ellie supposed she wasn't surprised. She had known they shared something before, Noah and Amelie, and she supposed being sister and brother was as good a bond as any.

Ellie, Noah, and Alex traveled through the darkness of the cavern. Ellie, noticing neither of the other two had brought out a pair of glasses like Amelie's, she nudged Alex on the shoulder.

"Where's your glasses?"

"Glasses? What glasses?" Alex and Noah chorused.

Ellie whipped hers out.

"Where did you get those?"

"Amelie."

"How-" Alex trailed off. "Do they actually help you see?"

"Yes."

"How many fingers am I-"

"Three."

"Woah."

Their troupe of three trudged through the caves, every step ringing out ferociously. Ellie looked around at the boulders and rocks surrounding them, void of anything even remotely interesting. They had now come into an even darker place.

"Where are we?"

"Just another part of the zone."

"Really?"

 "Yeah, watch your step here. People say that this is where the dark things go."

Noah interrupted Alex.

"It's more like the Midnight Zone."