Chapter 37

Minutes passed like hours as the group searched. The cave was formatted like a maze, plenty of dead ends and circles. "I think we should take a break," Amelie suggested, "It's kind of hot in here. I'm not used to it, it's always so cold outside."

"Okay," Alex and Ellie agreed. The three sat down, an awkward silence forming between them. "So..." Ellie tried to start a conversation. "Alex, what are you in here for?"

"Um," Alex felt uneasy about the subject. Her purpose for being there wasn't something she liked to share. "Can we not talk about that?"

"I guess,"

Shing!

The noise broke out, sounding like a sharp object grinding against something.

"Was that..." Amelie asked.

"Let's go check," Ellie said, unsure of if she even wanted to. She, Amelie, and Alex crept towards the source of the noise as it grew louder.

"Look!" Ellie whispered. The silhouette of a boy was shown on the wall. Hope filled inside of Ellie. "It's—"

"No!" Alex grabbed Ellie's wrist just as she went to run. "It's not him! Its a trap!"

"Let me go!" Ellie pulled away and darted towards the shadow. IT couldn't be a trap, she knew it. She would turn the corner and see Noah. He would escape with her, Amelie, and Alex, and the three of them would have a chance to start over.

"NOAH?!" Ellie yelled, arms wide open for a hug.

Noah stood in front of Ellie. His clothes were ripped and stained with shades of brown and crimson. His eyes were filled with terror as he stared at her.

"Noah?" Ellie took a few steps closer.

"Ellie-run," he coughed, "It's a trap."