Chapter 16

Silence echoed through the cavernous place as they continued to walk.

"What are we doing? Where are we going?" Ellie asked. The image of Alex's dead body still lingered in her mind, along with Noah and Amelie tossing it away like it was nothing...

"Ellie," Amelie said, "There's something you need to know."

Finally, Ellie thought, They're actually gonna tell me something.

Ellie stayed quiet as Amelie told her story.

************************

I was sick of my life. Our parents didn't even care. It was just Me, Noah...and Lily. Always. Until I ran away.

I couldn't bear it anymore. I packed up and left. One day, a few weeks after I left, I found something in a trash can. A knife. It looked as if it was once shiny, but when I found it, the blade was covered in a dried up maroon liquid.

Blood.

As I investigated the dumpster, I found something else.

A body.

An important body, at least to me.

Lily's body.

I started crying. I realized that people would think I did it. I was the only one who could have. I touched the knife, replacing the culprit's fingerprints with my own.

I heard footsteps. Saw light from a flashlight. I knew I was going to get caught.

But I didn't.

It was Noah.

I asked him how he found me. He claimed he was only searching for Lily. But we must have been heard, because some police officers happened to turn the corner. Noah tried to take the blame, but I couldn't let him. I told the officers I committed the crime. And they sent me here.

About a year later, I was out looking for food, and I stumbled upon Noah. He had stolen something just to get in here with me.

That was a mistake. He would've been better off on Earth.

The two of us were together for a few days before we met Alex. I already knew her, and she didn't seem trustable.

Me and Noah argued, but in the end, we ended up with Alex. She took us to the Cavern.

After a few days, I fled. They had already banished me for attempting to flee.

But I didn't care. I missed Noah, but I couldn't be around Alex.

"Why didn't you trust Alex?" Ellie asked. "She seemed so nice."

"Because," Amelie said, "She wasn't willing to tell us anything important."