Chapter 30

"Ellie RUN!" Amelie yelled.

Ellie began to run, but stopped when she turned around to see that her friend had stayed put. Ducking behind a thorny green bush, she observed the situation, ready to jump in and help Amelie.

"Rollo," Amelie muttered under her breath.

"Please, Amelie, you can call me father." The Scratch said, a wicked grin covering his face.

"I will never call you that, neither will Noah, and Lily wouldn't have called you that either,"

"Aren't you forgetting a sister?"

"What?"

"Oh, that's right, no one ever told you. Meh, she's dead now. Now you're all alone. You have no sisters, you have no brother."

"But Noah's—"

"—dead." The Scratch finished Amelie's sentence. He pulled out Noah's body, limp like a lifeless ragdoll. After laughing a resonant laugh, he ran back into the surrounding forest, clutching Noah's body.

Ellie ran to Amelie, tears streaming down her face.

Noah is dead. The words kept pounding in Ellie's head.

"Ellie," Amelie spoke, her voice barely a whisper, "I'm so sorry. We shouldn't have left him. I thought he was going to die, so I just wanted to move on, and-and-"

"Amelie," Ellie tried to hide the sadness in her voice. "It's okay, its-"

"It's not okay," Amelie interrupted, "It's nowhere near okay. Noah-he's-d-d—"

Amelie collapsed.