Chapter 17

Ellie sat in shock, looking between the two of them.

"Why did Noah stay?"

Amelie looked over to him in shock, perhaps noticing this for the first time.

"I stayed because I felt safe." He sat next to Ellie, placing his head against the stone. "I told you-Oliver would have loved it here. He would have. I don't just say that-I know it. Alex felt like this was her home, too-the crime of being secretive and always feeling unsafe was enough. Kids started coming-new ones every month, plus ones that had been hiding in the depths of the Twilight Zone. There's this warm feeling inside you when you are inside-that you have done a horrible deed, and you aren't welcomed, but the people around you have welcomed you." Noah gave them a weak smile. "I can't explain it, not really. I tried." He seemed to force the final few words out. "I guess we all have a sort of destiny. From the moment we're born, we have a life that will be lived out. I guess the kids who are here now feel so safe because they were criminals from the start."

Ellie swallowed down her next question, but it forced its way out.

"Who killed Lily?" Amelie didn't respond. Noah didn't either, he just stood and paced.

"We don't know. Anyways-we should probably get moving. The Scratch could come at any time, who knows where he is."

As the three of them walked, silent tears dripped down Noah's face. Ellie only wished she knew what he was thinking as his boots pressed into the rocky floor of the cave.