Chapter 36

"But Noah, he's..." Ellie trembled.

"So was I." Alex said. She spoke as if nothing had happened, like there was no danger and that everything had always been the same.

"C'mon, let's go," Amelie urged. And with that, the trio started off towards the forest of darkness.

*****

"This way," Alex led, map in hand.

The group had trekked through the forest all day, or all night, no one could really tell. Alex had caught Ellie and Amelie up on everything that had happened so far. Somehow awakening after death, her immediate run from the place, and seeing Noah...

"This has to be it," Amelie mumbled. In front of the group stood a massive stone cave, the opening covered with a dark, thick ivy as if it was hiding something.

"Yep," Alex announced, "Follow my lead."

Slowly, Ellie and Amelie followed Alex as she monouvered around. Ellie couldn't believe how a girl younger than her could ever be so brave in a place like this—almost as if it was all she had ever known.

Eventually, the group made it inside and began to speed through the dimly lit passages.

"You'll regret this,"

The deep voice broke the eerie silence. Ellie spun around to find the source of the voice.

But when she looked, no one was there.