Chapter 11

Alex, Ellie, and Noah hiked up inclines only Ellie could see. They trailed after her in the utter darkness until they came to a clearing that was actually bright.

A twisted tree, warped with age, time, and being trapped in a place with barely any light, grew there. Ellie wondered how such a feat was possible, how this tree had rooted itself in the ground, sticking out from tongues, on the other side of the prickly red grass between them and it. 

Amelie peeked her head around the corner, something red with slanted writing clutched in her right hand.

"What are you doing here with them?"

She pulled Ellie behind the rock she had been hiding around.

"We're finding you."

Amelie threw her head back in anguish.

"Go back."

"No." Noah looked mad, which was not at all what Ellie would have expected him to express upon seeing his sister.

"Noah. I'm not allowed to go back."

"Yes, you are."

"I ran away! Kids won't just let me back in."

"Yes, they will. They didn't let you go, you let us go. You've done no offense to them but that."

"I don't feel safe there."

Ellie looked over at Amelie's distressed face, her greenish goggles whipped away now.

"Come back. Now."

"I can't."

Alex ran in between Amelie and Noah, their faces contorted with anger, Noah's with a hint of doubt while Amelie had much more than an ounce of defiance.

"Then, we'll stay." She looked the two of them up and down. "You wanted to find her. Good job. You have. Now, we stick together, and that's it."

"What-What about the Scratch?" Ellie voiced her terrors.

"The Scratch won't hurt us if we can see him." Amelie whipped out two more pairs of glasses. With a sharp SHING! names were carved.

Noah Kray.

Yes, they were related.

Alexandria K-

Alex covered the rest, searing her hand on the heated surface.

"Ah!"

"What does it-"

Alex ran to the tree and broke off a sharp, skinny branch. She scratched out her name ferociously until only Alex showed.

"What the-" Noah voiced.

"Don't ask. Just move."