Chapter 24

"I'm afraid he's going to do something really stupid." Amelie was cleaning up the previous night's fire. She threw the ash and sticks near a cluster of boulders.

"What do you mean, stupid?"

"I'm afraid he's going to try and find the Scratch."

"Oh, he wouldn't actually do that, would he?"

"I don't know-he seemed pretty out of place..."

"You don't think he actually killed Lily, do you?"

"I-" Amelie hesitated. "I want to believe he didn't, and it's nothing like him, but I think that he actually-might have-" More tears. "I think that's why he was there-and he said he was just looking for her. He-I think that-I don't know why-we'd all fought before, but Noah was usually one of the first to call a truce-for him to get that mad-" Her sentences were choppy, barely making sense. "I think-I'm going to-take you back to the cavern-Noah's dead by now-You need to go back."

Ellie fought back an onslaught of tears.

"Noah's not dead, I know he's not dead, I'm going to find him."

"But he told you that-"

"He might not ever love me," She looked at Amelie, and said it tentatively. "I love him. So I'm going to find Noah Kray, and you can come. If you want."

Amelie smiled. "You really think he's alive?"

"If he isn't, I've lost hope."

"I lost that a long time ago. But I think... It's worth a try anyways..."

The two girls went into the cave that Noah had ran into.