Frankenstein

Chapter 9

"Shopping? Now?" Scott's voice sounds as I try to balance my phone between my shoulder and ear while placing a carton of milk into the basket.

'Yeah, I just thought I'd do something nice." I reply into the phone as I readjust it in my hand. "Your mom's working late tonight and I kinda wanted to say thank you. For, you know, saving Lydia and letting me stay over."

"You didn't have to do that," He says. I can almost hear the smile in his voice.

"I wanted to," I reply suppressing my smile as I turn down the next aisle in the shop looking for the bread. "And besides, you need to catch up on your biology."

"I would but... I don't seem to have the notes for the practical."

This time I can't stop the smile, "Oh really?"

"I might need you to come and explain it to me."

"Well, you're gonna have to hold on a little longer." I tease, placing the loaf into the basket and pulling out the list crumpled up in my pocket. "I still have... actually I just finished." I breathe in relief crumpling it back into my pocket. "I'll see you in a little bit and then we can focus on that biology."

I hear his laughter from the other side, "Call me if anything comes up."

I say goodbye and hang up the phone before making my way to pay. The cashier offers nothing more than a half-baked smile as he lazily scans my items through. What a ball of sunshine.

I then proceed to make my way out of the shop into the cold night air. Not so gracefully, I balance the brown bag in my left arm while I dig into my pocket for my keys. Just as I come into contact with the cold metal and pull it out, a wave of realization flashes over me.

"Dammit." I curse staring at my motorbike as I clutch the brown bag tighter in my hands.

How the hell am I supposed to drive a motorbike with this bloody thing in my hands?

"Need some help?" I almost drop my bag as I spin around to come face-to-face with someone I don't expect to see at this time of night.

"Theo?" I frown, readjusting my grip on the bag. "Seriously, I thought I told you stalking isn't a way to make friends."

"How about giving them a lift?" He says patting his blue Toyota pickup parked behind him. I move my eyes over to my bike and then back to him feeling even more confused.

"Wait a minute what are you even doing here?"

He lifts his hand up to reveal a chocolate bar, "I was hungry," He shrugs before motioning to the bag in my hand. "What are you doing?"

"Bowling," I reply sarcastically lifting the bag into the air, "What does it look like?"

"At 11 pm?"

"Yes."

"With a motorcycle."

"Yes," I wince.

"Sounds kinda sketchy." He tsks, shaking his head in mock suspicion as he pushes off his truck.

"Oh, so I'm suspicious now?" I roll my eyes. "You think I'm going attack you with a carton of eggs?"

"I'm more worried about that bottle of hot sauce." He raises his brows toward the bag.

I shrug, "Could make a pretty good omelette." A smile breaks out on his lips as he shakes his head. "You want that lift or not?"

My eyes move back over to my bike and I know that I have no choice. I know I don't particularly trust the guy but he did just save my friend's life. I at least owe him some benefit of the doubt. Maybe he won't turn out to be a complete psychopath. And I can't exactly walk all the way to Scott's house in the middle of the night. Well, I could but that would just be stupid. And besides, he has a pickup.