The Last First Day

Chapter 3

"Thanks for letting me sleep here," I say to Scott as soon as I pull away from his lips.

He looks up into my eyes from his position underneath me on the bed, "I like having you here." He says cheekily with a smile forming on his lips. "But are you okay in the loft? You've been sleeping here for like 5 nights in the past week."

I'm not okay. I thought I could handle being alone in the loft but it feels eerier now than it ever has before. And honestly, especially after what happened earlier, I think it might be haunted.

"I just love being with my boyfriend... is that so bad," I tease leaning down to place a kiss on his lips.

"Not at all," He answers with a dimpled smile making my heart swoon.

"I love your smile," I say aloud, reaching down to trace the outline of his lips.

"I thought it was my eyes."

"There's a lot I love about you."

His smile deepens as he leans up to connect our lips, "Don't say things like that," He says breaking the kiss but keeping his face close to mine, "I need to sleep tonight."

I bite my lip to stop my laugh from escaping, "Do we really need to?"

"It's our first day tomorrow." He says continuing to rub comforting circles on my legs.

"Our last first day." I breathe out testing the words on my tongue. "Can you believe it? Then we'll be free almost-adults."

"We'll be overworked college students."

I let out a groan and roll down next to him, "Forgot about that." I shake my head slightly before meeting his eyes, "Where do you wanna go?"

His eyes move to the ceiling for a few moments before looking back to mine, "UC Davis."

"UC Davis?"

"Yeah, but I don't think I'll get in." He says with a newfound softness in his voice.

"Of course, you'll get in, Scott. Don't doubt yourself. You're the guy who took down Deucalion, remember? Getting into college will be a piece of cake."

"But A.P. Biology..." He lets out a hefty breath, "I'd rather take on Deucalion again."

"Look how hard you've worked during the summer. You've got this, Scott. And... you've got me. And I'll make sure you get an A. Even if I have to give up on a few hours of sleep." I add with a smile. "You're worth it. You always are."

His eyes soften as they search mine before he connects our lips. He deepens the kiss, moving above me. I run my hands up over his chest before circling them to his neck. A breath escapes my lips as he begins trailing soft kisses from my jaw to my collarbone.

I almost get lost in the moment when a little voice in my head plays on repeat, "Scott, we have school tomorrow," I say deciding to actually listen to it this time.

He lefts out a groan, leaving one last kiss on my collarbone before settling down next to me, "You really should stop saying such things." He says turning to face me, "It makes it hard not to kiss you."

"Now you know what it feels like," I tease remembering all the times I've been in his situation.

Silence engulfs us for a few seconds before he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear, "I love you."

"I love you too." I smile feeling my heart swell. He pulls me closer toward him so my head is lying on his chest.

I listen to his steady heartbeat as my mind drifts back to the last few days. It feels different than what it usually does with him. It's the kind of feeling you can't explain with words but that all the cheesy love songs get right. All I know is I never want to leave this moment with him.