Stalking

Chapter 5

"I told you he was up to something." Stiles whisper-yells toward me and Liam as we crunch behind a bush. It's already become nightfall at this point and the moonlight is barely able to shine through the branches in the trees. Theo parks his blue Toyota at the entrance of the woods and gets out swiftly, taking a brown paper wrapping with him.

"Stiles... he is literally going for a night walk in the woods," I say wanting to face-palm.

"But who does that?" Stiles exclaims again.

"I don't know," I turn around to glare at him, "Maybe you and Scott?"

"We were looking for a dead body. Not the one's creating the dead body."

"Guys." Liam softly exclaims. "We just spent three hours watching this dude play video games in his be-"

"You know, I beat my high score on Flappy Bird." Liam and Stiles turn their gaze over in my direction with similar looks of confusion lining each of their faces, "What?" I shrug.

"All I'm saying," Liam continues after shaking his head, "He better be out here covering up a mass murder."

"Let's find out," Stiles says before we get up and follow him deeper into the forest. "You still got his scent?"

"Don't need it," Liam answers before I can, pointing down at the footprints spread out in front of us.

"You see that, Stiles. Footprints. Would a murderer be leaving their footprints out for anyone to find?"

"Well, maybe he's not a very smart murderer." Stiles counters before he pauses and turns around. I follow his gaze to see Liam behind us with a look of pure guilt on his face, "What? What's wrong?"

"I forgot I was supposed to meet Mason at the school gym." He says softly.

"Okay, why didn't you just tell him?" Stiles shrugs.

"Tell him what?"

"Anything," Stiles says motioning to the forest around us.

"I can't just tell him anything."

"Why not?"

"Because I haven't..." Liam lets out an agitated breath trailing off his sentence.

"Wait... you haven't told him about all this yet?" I question, frowning. Liam nods his head heavily.

"Still? We said it was okay." Stiles says mirroring my surprise.

"Yeah, I know, but it's not that easy..." He trails off again taking another breath, "It's a lot to accept."

"He watched my dad blow up a Berserker with a landmine. I think the groundwork's been pretty thoroughly laid for acceptance. Scott and I have been through this, okay? More than once. It's always been better when they know." Stiles finishes before walking on.

"Maybe don't mention the part about us stalking someone in the forest in the middle of the night. That might send the wrong impression." I tap Liam's shoulder before following after Stiles who reminds me a lot of a hound dog with the way his head jerks around the forest at any tiny sound.

"But what if he freaks out? What if he doesn't want to talk to me? What if he tries to stab me with something silver? Or, what if-" Liam's ramble is immediately cut off by the sound of leaves crunching and something hard hitting the ground. I whip around to see no Liam except for a giant hole in the ground. I sigh rushing forward along with Stiles.

"What the hell are you doing?" Stiles immediately scolds. Liam just meets our eyes and raises his arms in defeat.

"I-" Stiles trails off before his eyes catch sight of something further in the forest. "There he is. Hurry up! Stop screwing around."