Secrets

Chapter 15

"What if we need some kind of trigger?" Scott immediately asks as I follow him into the school hallway along with Stiles and Kira trailing behind. "Wasn't Malia driving when she remembered the crash?"

"Yeah, but how are we supposed to trigger a memory that we don't remember?" Stiles questions, actually bringing up a good point. If my memory has something to do with those holes in the forest, then there's no way I'm going to go hopping into one of them like Alice in Wonderland. I have a feeling it won't be as magical.

"Maybe it's a delayed thing? Maybe you have to wait a couple of hours to see what happens." Scott theorizes.

"So we just act like everything is normal until we experience some terrifying memory?" I say, letting a breath, "Great."

The lights in the hallway begin flickering for a few seconds before turning back to normal. I hate how my first instinct is to turn to Kira. Apparently, I'm not the only one, as Scott and Stiles do the same.

"That wasn't me. I swear," She defends with wide eyes. I wish I could believe her. Well, technically her I believe. The fox inside of her... not so much.

"We keep an eye on each other today, okay?" Scott says meeting each one of our eyes.

"Yes, and keep an eye out for eight other potentially homicidal Chimeras."

"And keep an eye out for the Dread Doctors," Kira adds after Stiles.

"Well, I guess there goes my A in biology," I sigh, finding it nearly impossible to picture myself multi-tasking today. We all exchange looks before we carry on walking to our first lesson.

"Starting to see the appeal of a third eye," Stiles quips.

"Want me to get a drill or..." I joke watching as he visibly squirms before walking away from me rather quickly.

"So, while introducing the African Cane Toad sounded like a good way to deal with Australia's infestation of the grey-backed beetle

"So, while introducing the African Cane Toad sounded like a good way to deal with Australia's infestation of the grey-backed beetle. Unfortunately, the toad also decided to eat everything else in sight..." My eyes begin slowly drifting off toward the window as Mrs. Finch carries on teaching. Maybe it's my lack of interest in this particular topic or the fact that I spent most of last night reading a book that is supposed to bring violent hallucinations. Or maybe it's the fact that I could experience one of those hallucinations at any moment... either way, I can't focus.

"Nina," Mrs. Finch's voice breaks me from my thoughts. "Can I please have your attention back to the rest of the class?"

I'm about to apologize when the sound of someone hastily standing up from their seat brings my gaze backward. Sydney rises promptly from her desk, placing a piece of paper in front of Mrs. Finch.

"Wise decision, Sydney," She says. Sydney lowers her head before leaving the classroom in a hurry. Not even a second later, Lydia jumps out of her seat going after her. "Lydia," Mrs. Finch calls stopping her in front of her desk. "You know it's for the best." She doesn't reply and continues on out the door.