𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. ENIGMA OF A MAN

SHOTO HEARD yelling from the other room. Loud yelling.

At first, it was just a minor inconvenience. It was perfectly normal. It happened all the time.

Then there was the sound of something shattering accompanied by a scream. The shattering and crashing sounds continued to persist, the screaming getting even louder than before.

Shoto didn't shiver, Shoto didn't whimper, Shoto didn't shed even a single tear. He just covered his ears to muffle out the noise. Again, it was just another minor inconvenience.

Usually, his parents fought a lot over the smallest things. He never understood why they did, but it wasn't like he cared that much anyway.

When they weren't arguing, they would give each other the cold shoulder which he found much more preferable. He didn't mind, he could enjoy some peace and quiet in the household.

But sometimes, if they argued for longer than usual, his dad would start breaking things in a fit of rage and his mom would scream so loud that he couldn't go back to sleep. This was probably one of those times.

Of course, this was all still perfectly normal. This was something that happened to everyone, right?

Eventually, the breaking sounds stopped. He lifted his hands from his ears. Looks like his dad had enough for one day.

He could hear his mom start to sob uncontrollably. Really, he couldn't understand the woman. It was just an argument. It didn't matter that much. It was a regular thing for them. So why would she cry every single time?

Human emotions were too confusing for him sometimes.

He got out of bed and opened his door slightly, wary of not making any sound, just enough to see her on the dining room floor next to a broken chair, cleaning up shattered pieces of plates on the floor as she cried nonstop.

Shoto didn't feel anything.

Fully opening the door, he slipped out of his room and approached her cautiously. She continued to clean the floor as she wiped one tear after the other, seemingly not aware of her son's presence until he spoke.

"Mom."

He had finally gotten her attention as she slowly turned her head to him.

Shoto stood there in front of her, remaining unbothered. "I can't sleep. Read me a bedtime story."

Her expression became cold.

"It's all your fault."

Suddenly, he couldn't see his mom anymore. Everything went pitch black.

He carefully took a step forward, his footstep causing an echoing sound in the endless void.

Shoto looked around his surroundings, only to still see the same pitch black.