17

"So, you were right" Steve said later that evening after they had returned with some take out from Thor's and sat whilst Nell told him all about the escaped hamster that had everyone literally running after it around the school, and other amusing incidents that had happened in class. 

He'd seen firsthand how she was with the kids. They clung to her every word. She was fun. She gave each child such care and attention that they were made to feel special. On the day he'd watched her interact with the parent and child after school, he'd seen that the adults liked her too. She had a certain way about her. 

"About what?" She asked, curled on one end of the sofa whilst he was at the other. 

"I started sketching again". 

"And how do you feel about that - geez sorry, look at me going all therapist on you" She smirked. 

Steve chuckled at this. "Refreshing. Sometimes I kinds find myself zoning out and just drawing whatever seems to appear". He told her. 

"Can I see? That is, if I'm allowed". 

He nodded and went to get the book, hoping that she wouldn't be offended he'd sketched her. "Here". Passing it to her, he sat back down and watching as she looked through the pages he'd used, studying each one with both care and attention. 

"My goodness..." She breathed. "These are beautiful - your wife must have been so impressed!" 

He shifted and then decided to talk. "She - er...well, she never really took much notice when it came to things like this..." Now admitting it, whereas before he'd have kept it to himself. Of course, all marriages were not perfect, and he and Sharon had their moments. Only now Nell had reacted in such a way, he'd been reminded that Sharon had never done so. Simply saying it was nice whilst her mind was elsewhere. 

Nell frowned. "She didn't? Why not? These are fantastic?" 

Steve just shrugged. "She wasn't into art or drawing as much. She liked to be active, go out with friends. Don't think I ever saw her pick up a book". He smiled to himself. "She liked magazines more".

"But, this is your hobby? I would've thought she'd have encouraged you more?" She stated, still going through until she turned to the final one. 

The one that he'd spent most of his time working on. 

"Wait..." She stared at it. "Is this me?" 

He nodded. "I don't just draw animals and trees y'know - I can do people too". 

Her smile broadened at this as she looked over it carefully. "You paid attention to everything, even the little scar above my eyebrow..." Now looking up at him. "I love it". 

Thank God he wasn't going to have to go throw himself down into the creek from embarrassment. He had been unsure as to how she'd react, but this made him feel a little better, even more encouraged to continue in order to keep his mind occupied. 

"Keep it" He smiled, coming and sitting next to her and taking it out carefully. 

"Thank you". She paused and then looked at him again, "I know that things haven't been the best, but you seem a little brighter lately". 

"Do I?" 

She nodded. "You might not feel it or see, but I have. You seem more...relaxed, if that's the word I'm looking for?" 

Steve sat back and thought to himself, sensing that Nell's upbeat personality as well as her positivity had been keeping him going. He was sure that if he'd stayed with Bucky then he'd probably end up drinking a little more (not that he ever suffered from being drunk or hungover - alcohol had never really affected him), and possibly being constantly set up on blind dates. 

Somehow, being with her was easy. 

It just felt relaxed. 

Nell didn't go on at him. Never pushed him into anything that would make him feel uncomfortable. She genuinely cared about him and his interests, would ask how his day had been, how he was feeling if he looked a little tired or downcast. 

And now he found himself comparing her to Sharon...something that was probably a bad idea. His wife had her flaws just as he did. Nell probably did as well, although he was yet to see them. But perhaps the fire had been the only way for him to see that perhaps he could have a chance of starting over, and to be happy. 

He felt happy, especially when he was with her - a feeling he'd not felt for years. 

"I mean, despite John being an asshole, destroying the last of everything I had? I think I've actually gained more than lost - that's how I see it anyway". 

"You think?" She asked with a smile. 

"Yeah", he now admitted, feeling a little more confident. "I now have you..." 

Her cheeks flushed, and Nell felt a sense of shyness overcome her as well as the fact that they were so close that they were almost touching. 

Did he want this? 

Because she did...

Something had most certainly shifted between them, and now as they leant into one another, their lips brushed lightly, before the kiss they shared became deeper and more longed for...