12

"Ok, so who can tell me..." Nell was cut off as she taught her class one morning, by a member of staff coming into the room with a huge bouquet of flowers. She looked at them as the school's receptionist told her that they had been delivered for her, placing them onto the desk and then leaving.

By now the class were chatting to themselves as Nell now opened the card that was attached to the bouquet.

X

A simple kiss.

She huffed and shoved the card into her desk drawer before silencing the class. "Addition time! Let's stop with the talking now, we can save it for recess!" She clapped her hands in her usual manner so that the class could copy the same rhythm to show that they were listening.

Unfortunately, she knew who the flowers were from, because another bouquet had been left on the porch of her home just days before.

Walker.

He had not stopped messaging and had tried calling her until she'd told him to stop and blocked the number.

That was when the flowers began to turn up.

First it had been a simple rose left on her car, the next had been a small bouquet that looked as though they'd been brought from a gas station.

Now came the big declarations through the larger and more expensive bouquets. He was certainly keeping the florists in business that was for sure, but it was becoming a little too much.

Once the children had gone outside for recess, Nell messaged Steve.

Hey, did you want to come over for dinner after your shift? Could really use some company tonight.

It didn't take him long to message back, he was most likely on lunch with Bucky or at his desk.

Steve: Sure thing, everything alright? I could bring in some takeout from Pines if it's that kinda day?

That would be great 😊 will tell you about it when you come over.

Steve: Expect me at six 😉

Immediately she felt better, not putting it past John to decorate her entire porch with bouquets of roses, balloons, anything to try and win her back. Well in his eyes it was, they were never really in a relationship, thank god.

She just needed him to stop trying when it was clear there was no chance of them dating, but he would still be persistent.

Shoving the flowers under her desk, they would remain there for the rest of the day.

Out of sight but unfortunately not out of mind.

**

"Nice flowers" Steve noted as Nell got out her car, taking them out from where they'd been in the passenger footwell. She simply looked at him and then walked over to open the garbage bin, tossing the bouquet inside. "Ah...maybe not so nice then".

"An unwanted gesture"

"Let me guess, John". There wasn't any question about it really.

She rolled her eyes. "Got it in one".

Steve was now a little concerned. "Has he been bothering you?"

"No, just keeps sending me flowers that's all - this is probably the fifth bouquet I've had in the last week or so".

"Why didn't you tell me? I could've sorted it out". He asked as she unlocked her door and showed him inside.

"It's fine, he'll take the hint eventually and stop sending them". She told him, shrugging off her coat and hanging it up, then walking through to the kitchen and living room.

Steve wasn't as convinced though. "Well if he's hassling you then call me. I'll take care of it - I've dealt with nut jobs before".

"I really don't think he's gonna take it to the extreme, but thanks". She told him, getting out a couple of plates so as they could dish out the food. Fresh pizza from Pines Bar with onion rings.

"And who could forget the cookie dough". Steve now took out the last couple of boxes.

"You're a saint". Nell grinned. "Beer? Wine? Diet Coke?"

"I'll take the Diet Coke". He said as she passed it to him. "Thanks, so apart from Walker's fancy declarations of love, did you have a good day?"

Nell shrugged. "The usual I suppose, it's more interesting than before, I'm enjoying it though - the kids are great, staff are nice, Mr Vision is friendly so it's nice to have a boss who you get along with".

Steve smiled, "I'll second that".

"Is Sheriff Coulson nice? I still haven't met him actually now that I think about it".

"He's great, more like a friend than a boss. It's rare you see him m. He's a good guy though". He wasn't about to mention the incident with John, he'd spoke with Phil after his shift finished and had stated his frustrations. Fortunately his boss also knew that John was a dick, and that his words were uncalled for. He'd been sent off with a warning that if he continued then he'd be dismissed from duty.

They set themselves down on the sofa and Nell put the fire on. "Nothing like this kind of evening to have the fire on".

"Gotta admit that I never have the time to do anything like that, I'm either too tired to enjoy sitting there or at work".

"Bet the cold nights and mornings are killer".

"God yeah, but they keep me awake for sure". He grinned.

After dinner they sat there, Nell curled up on her armchair and hugging a pillow against her while they spoke about the Christmas events that were going to be upcoming. "You going home to family? Or are they coming here?"Steve asked.

"My dad lives in Canada now, my mom isn't around anymore so I'm just gonna be here I think, how about you?"

"No family, usually I take the Christmas Day duty as I have nothing to do, then the evening shift will come in so I get some time to myself at least. Keeps me busy, and usually there's others there to spend it with so I'm not completely alone, on the plus side I have Boxing Day off".

"Well, if you don't wanna spend the evening alone, feel free to come over so as I don't have to eat a whole turkey by myself".

He chuckled. "Well considering we're both gonna be by ourselves, why not?".  Steve sure as hell didn't want to see Nell lonely like he was at that time of year. Agatha usually was on at him to come over and join her along with the other older residents who had no one, but he'd always felt a little awkward. This year would be spent in the company of friends and that was the main thing.

Once again, Nell watched as the lights of Steve's car disappeared down the road a couple of hours later, unaware that in the darkness, Walker was watching, and he'd seen everything...

It was time to make Steve see that he wasn't going to be the main player in this narrative. Even if he and Nell were "just friends".

She'd regret making the choice she had.