20

Nell's body ached the next morning as she woke, Steve's arm wrapped protectively around her. Checking her phone, she knew she needed to get up and prepare for the school day.

As she moved, he stopped her, pulling her back and holding her gently against him. "Call in sick".

She laughed as he did. "You know I'd love to do that and just spend all day in bed with you, buuuuuut we both have to work". Now getting out of bed, she slipped on his T-shirt. "I'll make you coffee". Leaning down and kissing him.

"Mmmm". He hummed to himself and sat up, stretching tired muscles before getting up. "Much prefer a shower with you instead". His arms wrapped around her again as he kissed her neck.

She was lost in his hold and nodded. "Okay..."

Sitting in the car later on with Bucky, Steve was fully aware that his friend wanted to know whether he had made things up with Nell.

"Did you sort it out?" He asked mid chew through the breakfast sandwich he'd brought when they'd stopped at Nats.

Boy had he.

"Yep". He simply replied as he checked his phone.

"Sooooo, you gonna give it a shot?"  Bucky pressed.

"Yep..." the same reply again.

He'd shot alright, both last night and this morning.

"Hey, you sure you're ok?" Bucky now asked, a little concerned as to why he was only getting one word answers. "That's good right? Dating again, having someone care about you..."

Steve out his phone away. "Yeah, sorry was just distracted".

"You thinking about her?"

When had he not been lately?

"Yeah. I mean we talked last night.." no they hadn't, "and I guess we're both giving it a shot". Oh they were giving more than that, but in relation to everything else other than that? They were just going to take it easy and see how it would go. With Sharon it had been more formal dating, taking her out, choosing which nights they would see one another and where.

With Nell? He just liked how relaxed it was, dating or not. He felt that this time around, perhaps there was some things that he could do differently. Sharon had always said he worked too much and that she rarely saw him, something that he couldn't help, but did he? He'd always regretted not being able to spend as much time as he wanted to with her, perhaps Nell would think the same.

"Do you think I spend too much time working? Even when I was with Sharon".

"Steve..." Bucky began. "Even after all this time you're still thinking about what she said to you?"

"I don't wanna mess up this time around".

"But you didn't mess up the first time? Nell's different. She knows your job and understands that".

Steve shrugged. "I guess we'll find out soon enough".

"Look pal, you've been alone for too long, you said you didn't wanna get into something like this again but you have, it's only right you're questioning things, but just enjoy it. You really think Nell's gonna bite your head off because you work shifts? She's not and you know it".

**

Nell was busy making a vegetable stew when Steve walked in that evening, turning as she saw him and then seeing what he'd brought her.

A wintery bouquet, made up of seasonal flowers and pine cones. "I mean I know it's not as elaborate as some of Walker's were" he smirked, knowing they could kind of joke about it now. "But I know you like a more rustic look, and so I asked the florist whether she could whip up something along those lines".

She smiles and took them, "that's so sweet of you, how did you know?"

"Just guessed" he shrugged with a smile.

"Thank you" she kissed him gently, let me put them in some water, dinner will be ready soon if you haven't eaten already?"

He shook his head. "Nope, Bucky wanted to stop at Thor's but I got outta that one".

"You didn't have to, I would t have minded"

"Guess I didn't like the idea of you being alone on a Friday night, especially since...well..." he trailed off, feeling a little awkward wondering what she'd say or do.

Nell put the flowers into water and then came back over to him, arms shaking around his neck and then kissing him gently. "Steve, you really don't have to feel bad about leaving me for one night to enjoy yourself".

"Somehow I don't think spending tonight with Buck would be as enjoyable as spending it with you". He hoisted her onto the counter and kissed her deeply. "How long until dinner?"

"Half hour?" Said said breathlessly as they tugged at one another's clothes anyway.

"That's all I need". He replied hurriedly, lifting her up slightly so as he could pull her panties off, before she took him in her hand, guiding him between her legs and into her. "Geez sweetheart..." he groaned as they connected, beginning to move together.

Right now neither cared whether dinner would be ruined or not. Their hunger for one another was already being satisfied.