Chapter Seventeen

Quinn

"What the hell happened here last night?" Dustin asked.

We were all sitting in the living room, going over everything.

"I woke up... Eddie was having a nightmare, or sounded like he was. So I turned on the light and tried to wake him up. And then suddenly the light went off....Eddie, was breathing strangely and acting off. He told me not to come anywhere near him. I tried to open the drapes and he lunged at me. He was sweating, his face was white and his eyes were red. When I called him by his name..... he asked why I kept calling him that... like he didn't recognise his own name. And then he said he didn't have his own name, he shared one.... With Vecna. That's when I heard Vecna speak to me. He told me that Eddie would eventually betray us.... He would eventually serve Vecna as second in command." I said.

I saw Eddie's head bow slightly, and I swallowed hard.

"But then I got him back.... But he didn't remember anything." I continued.

"Second in command?" Dustin asked.

"Like.... Like Kas?" Mike asked.

"Kas?" Steve asked, confused.

"Kas the bloody handed." Eddie replied.

"Vecna's lieutenant." Dustin confirmed.

"I can't be...." Eddie said.

"You were bit, Eddie. You told me that I stemmed the bleeding but didn't fix the problem." I said.

"The bites?" Nancy asked.

"From the demo bats. In D&D they're characters with the lowest injury rate. Demo bats can't kill." Mike said.

"One bit Steve." Nancy pointed out.

"Not to the extent of Eddie. It might take more than one." Dustin said.

"You weren't bleeding out." I said.

"True." Steve replied.

"And then this morning, you were protecting me. It was protecting me. And then it was taunting me about last night." I said, looking at Eddie.

"Last night?" He asked.

"It.... You said you felt everything." I said, clearing my throat.

"What happened last night?" Mike asked.

"I'd rather not go into the specifics." I said hurriedly.

Nancy shifted in her seat, and looked at us all.

"You don't have to, Quinn." She said, understanding.

"If there's some significance then?" Dustin probed, innocently.

"There isn't. There wasn't. I'd rather not go into detail." I said.

"Adult things Dustin." Steve said, as I buried my head in my hands, everyone falling quiet.

"Oh." I heard Dustin said, awkwardly.

"I'm really sorry....." He added.

"It's okay." I said, waving him off.

Eddie's arm wrapped around me and leaned into me.

"I promise that when it happened, that was me. Just me." He whispered.

"I was the only one there with you... And it was the best night of my life...." He added.

"What do we do now?" Nancy asked, changing the subject.