Chapter Eighteen

Quinn

"I'm sorry about your face...." I said, a short while later.

We were still holding each other, but no longer in the centre of the room.

We were sitting underneath the window sill, the only consistent sound before I'd spoken into the darkness, had been our breathing.

"You did what you had to, new girl." Eddie whispered, sounding distant.

Which I noticed; it was abundantly clear.

"You're not distancing yourself from me, are you?" I asked.

"I don't know what else to do." He admitted, sounding pained.

"You can if that's what you want to do, I won't stop you

"You can if that's what you want to do, I won't stop you. But I just need you to know, that's what he wants. He wants to drive a great far wedge between all of us. You know why? Because we're stronger together, all of us. Split up? Look what's happened already when we were all separated and doing different things. The upside down..... it's here, it's here in Hawkins. It's not underneath us anymore, we're right in the centre of it. It's taking over. But since we've all been together, it hasn't got any worse." I argued.

"It has. This is happening to me, and I'm putting everyone in danger. You know what he said. I'd leave you all and go to him." Eddie argued back.

"I know what he said. But I'm not afraid." I said.

"You should be." Eddie warned, moving from me.

"I know he said you'd go to him.... But that's not a future set in stone. Not whilst I'm here, not whilst we're all here." I said, surprised that he'd recoiled from me.

"How are you so confident?" He asked, agitated.

"Because I have to be." I said.

"That might have gotten you through life, but that's not my way. Bad shit always happens to me, that's my life. I made my peace with that a long time ago. You talk about my contribution to all of this as though it's something good and brave when really this all got worse because of me. I ran away like the coward I am and have always been and then I got myself into just a little bit more shit when everyone thought I was a murderer, and now this. Now here I am again, up to my neck in it and all you can do is sit here and talk like there's an end to this, like there's a way out. Like there's always a way out. What if there isn't this time, new girl? What if there isn't?" He asked, exasperated.

"I'm not a champion fucking swimmer, I'm not a good runner - unless you count fleeing a crime scene in which case I'm the best and I don't have the voice of an Angel. We're not all like you, Quinn." He added, insulting me.

I rose to my feet, hiding the pain I was feeling in my heart and sniffed back tears.

"You might not be any of those things and you may not be even remotely like me. But you know what you're definitely not?" I asked him, my back to him.