Chapter Twenty Six

New girl wasn't very well

New girl wasn't very well. Shortly after the battle ended, she complained about pain in her head.

And just as we were all grouping back together, catching our breath and slowly coming to grips with the fact it was finally over, she'd collapsed. No warning, no word, just silently fell to the floor and didn't wake up.

A helicopter had arrived on the battleground and a kind faced doctor, Dr Owens had promised us that he'd help. Eleven appeared to both know and trust him.

"He's not like Papa. He will help." She had said, squeezing my hand.

"I promise you, we'll help her. I will help her." He had said.

And so, I had watched her be carried into the helicopter and flown to a nearby facility; Jesus, how many were there?

So far, we hadn't been to the facility to see her.
I had wanted to, very much so. But she hadn't woken up and Dr Owens was updating us, and we were trying to get the town back to some normality.

Everyone had woken up from the trance, and had gone back to their homes like nothing had happened. Some remembered, some didn't.

The ones who didn't remember seemed to have a harder time than those who did; naturally, that seemed understandable.

Perhaps it was the unknown, not really remembering what happened and wanting to know for closure and clarity.

Max was recovering well in hospital and was asking about Quinn every day.

It was heartbreaking giving her the same answer but we had nothing new to report.

My Uncle and I were in a new trailer in the same park, just a little ways further than where we had been, seeing as ours had previously been a crime scene and was also ripped in half.

Linda was more than happy to let us stay longer, but truth be told, some kind of normality was needed for us too.

That and my Uncle was keen to recommence his hat collection as his first one had been lost in the quake.

That was his normality and I was more than happy to oblige.

I wanted normality for when Quinn was finally home, so we could be the teenagers we were supposed to be.

I'd already started; I'd completely overhauled my room, I'd been to the school hall and managed to find some bedding for myself and my Uncle, pillows and blankets, and toiletries for us all.

I'd braced myself walking in the school gym, for hate and whispers but received none of either.

Everyone had been scarily nice to me.
Apparently, I'd been exonerated.

"We heard that you were with Dustin and Quinn during the quake and you helped them both. If there is anything else you need, please let us know."

That was the main phrase I'd heard as I had walked around each station, taking only what we needed.