Chapter Twenty One

Quinn

"Do we have everything ready?" Joyce asked.

It had taken a day, roughly.

To get enough salt, teamed with the fact that we had to, resourcefully, borrow a kids paddling pool.

And by borrow..... I meant steal.

I just hoped we hadn't ripped someone's child's last bit of happiness away, whilst trying to tell myself to see the bigger picture.

If we did this now, the kid in question might have summers years from now, splashing their day away in their paddling pool. We didn't, they may not make it. I'd sooner have had the theft on my conscience.

"We're ready." Dustin said, with a thumbs up.

"I made you some glasses." Mike said to Eleven, as I watched her smile.

"Thanks Mike." She said.

I stood back as he helped her into the pool and she lay back, floating buoyantly, in the water.

"Ok, I find him and I tell him our proposal." She said, before taking a deep breath.

Will turned on the radio, tuning into a dead channel and the only sound then, was the static.

And our baited breath.

I looked around Joyce's living room, eyeing everyone's expression and I could feel the sudden tension.

When I didn't find Eddie's or Max's face in the room, my heart sank.

I sank down onto the sofa, and sighed, pawing at my face

I felt my heart slide right down to the pit of my stomach, and I rubbed my face more, trying to battle the emotions I was feeling.

I felt the sofa sink down, and someone sat down by me.

I opened my eyes and met theirs, as they smiled sympathetically at me.

"You're better off letting however you feel, out. No good keeping it in, kid... you'll combust." Hopper said, squeezing my shoulder.

"How did you know?" I asked, tiredly.