Chapter 23

I don;t know who this other wolf is. She could be from my pack, or the Hunters, but I can't tell while she is a wolf. But I don't have to wait for too long.

Before I know it, she has transformed. She looks like she's about 15. "Uh, hi. My name's Casey and this is my dad. What's your name?" I introduce myself. The situation is a little awkward, and the other girl isn't saying anything. My dad and I have already transformed back, and now she is seeing us for us. It is kind of weird.

There is a long silence, and w all just stand there awkwardly. But then she finally responds. "I'm Kate, ex-Hunter. I used to be one, but only because I was born into it. But they are terrible, all of them. I'm kind of a lone wolf now. Well, I'm just looking for a place to stay. Sorry if I'm rambling." Wow, at least she's not a Hunter still, I like her. She was brave enough to leave the Hunters. And you would have to be pretty brave to do that.

"If you're looking for a place to stay, you can stay with my dad and me. But at the moment our hut isn't safe right now. Because of the war. But if you stick with us, you can stick with us until we go back." I offer to Kate. She seems to be considering this deeply. "Okay, sure. Thanks." I look to my dad, who nods. Good, he's okay with this. I guess I just didn't think to ask him first. "You're welcome. It's really nothing. So, you left the Hunters?" I ask.

"Ya, I did, but can't talk right now. Follow me, wolves are charging us!" She pulls us out of the cave, and I can see the wolves. They found us! My heart is racing, it's almost as if it is going to beat out of my chest. As we run, I try to figure out how they found us. I realized that why I was deep in thought, I slowed down. I turn around to see if they gained on me, and they did. I turned around just in time to see one tackle me. As I hit the ground, everything goes black.