3. From Behind The Trees

It was still hot and bright on top of the raft. The sun glinted off the rippling water, creating a dazzling array of lights and reflections. The sky was brilliant blue, with the occasional white cloud puff. The air was heavy and humid, and a faint pine scent filled the air. A gentle breeze blew, cooling the hot air and stirring the raft in a gentle rocking motion.

Ezra listened and answered the girls' questions. He didn't realize how interested they were in college. Of course, they would enter their junior year later that fall. He remembered what it was like in his junior year. Especially the summer before. He thought Landon would get himself killed.

Later Ezra noticed Landon climbing onto the raft. His facial expression showed that Landon had just done something to piss Savana off. A minute later, splashing and cursing sounds came from below the raft.

Ezra was about to ask Landon what had happened when Cully asked him another question. "So, are you dating anyone at your school?" She asked with burning cheeks. Faye was shocked at Cully's boldness to ask that question, though she was also dying to know.

Ezra shook his head, unsure how to respond. He was too distracted by the splashing to focus on what Cully asked. Suddenly, Savana emerged from the water, dripping wet and scowling. Before anyone could ask what was wrong, Savana glared down at Landon, who had just laid down. The whole group saw her fury.

Landon had his typical shit-eating grin. "What's up?" He asked nonchalantly.

"What's up?" Savana yelled. "You almost killed me!"

Landon stopped smiling and sat up to look at the others. They all looked ready to fight him. "Whoa, hold up!" He jumped and explained, "I didn't try to kill you! I was just messing around!"

Savana cocked her head and squinted. "You held my head underwater when I tried to come back up. I couldn't breathe! And didn't you hear me hit my head on the tube? I thought everyone heard that." She looked around at everyone else. She was fed up. "Maybe if you guys weren't so obsessed with Ezra, you would have noticed I needed help!"

In frustration, Savana tried to hold back her tears. There was too much going on in her head lately. She wanted to be left alone, yet wanted someone to be there when she needed them. Nothing else was said before Savana jumped back into the water and swam to the beach.

Faye, Cully, and Ezra all stood up and glared at Landon. He threw his hands up in the air. "I don't know what her problem is! I thought we were just messing around!"

Ezra tried to stay calm. "Alright, what happened?"

Landon carefully chose his words. "We were just seeing who could swim down and grab the most mud."

"Oh yeah, because we're ten years old again." Cully rolled her eyes and stood with her hands on her hips.

Landon ignored her. "When I came back up, I accidentally brushed against her butt. She got mad and held me underwater for a second."

"Dude, don't bullshit me." It was getting more difficult for Ezra not to be pissed.

"Alright, fine, maybe it wasn't a total accident." Landon admitted.

Cully and Faye groaned and looked at each other, deciding if they should believe anything he said.

"Anyway." Landon glared at the girls and then looked back at Ezra. "I was just goofing around and pushing her in the water like she did to me. Then I came back up here so she couldn't throw that nasty shit at me." He sighed. "I thought I helped get her mind off her mom."

Ezra relaxed a little bit. "Well, it doesn't sound like you meant to hurt her or anything. I'm sure she'll be alright." He got closer to Landon with a dark expression. "But seriously, don't touch her."

Landon nodded nervously. The girls smiled and decided to catch up with Savana, who had already gotten into her car. That must have been the fastest Savana has ever swum.

Cully looked like she was about to charge at Landon. "If I ever hear you touch her again, I will rip your fucking dick off!" She pushed past him and dove into the water. Faye followed, and they swam to shore.

While at the lake, the group thought they were alone since most families in Unity spend the summer in their cabins up north. None of them noticed the stranger watching them from behind the shore trees. Someone visited the lake almost daily to see if Savana would be there. He waited for the right time to get close to her. He couldn't believe his eyes when he saw her at the Summer Festival two years ago. She looked exactly like her aunt Samara. But this time, he had her all to himself.

 But this time, he had her all to himself