4. What Is Trust?

Savana's house was just a few miles down a curvy country road outside of town. Clouds rolled in, and the wind picked up. She was still out of breath from swimming so fast. The cool air coming through her open car window felt nice on her face. It helped dry her tears.

Driving in the summer with the windows rolled down was one of Savana's favorite things. She felt a sense of peace and freedom as if the world was hers for the taking. She smiled to herself as she drove faster on the sharp turns. It made her heart race again. She didn't know whether to be scared or amused. Her house appeared around the last turn, and she slowly pulled into her long gravel driveway.

Savana parked in front of the detached garage next to her modest home. The driveway was lined with dozens of young birch trees on each side. They calmed Savana as she watched them sway in the wind. The memory of picking out the exterior color of their house with her mom made her smile. They agreed on sky blue.

Savana thought it was strange when she woke up and saw a note saying her dad had to run some errands. Gavin's small green truck was still gone. Her dad always stayed home on Sundays, watching TV and napping. Their black cat, Hannibal, liked to curl up on his chest while they both napped in the recliner.

Strangely, he had worked many late nights and Saturdays for the past few months. This time, however, she was relieved he was gone. He would have known something was wrong and bombarded her with questions. He always worried about her. More so after his wife died.

Savana walked through the kitchen and ran down the hallway. Once in her bedroom doorway, she flung herself onto her bed. The bed squeaked as she landed. She grabbed one of her blankets and wrapped herself in a burrito. She shut her eyes and tried to block out the world around her. She felt better in the quiet.

Gavin Hollis happily tapped his steering wheel as he drove home from Sumner. He was optimistic. It was a gorgeous day, and something told him it was time to tell Savana. It had been months since he started sneaking around and lying to his daughter. Guilt became overwhelming. He waited for things to get serious and settled before making a decision.

Clouds covered the sky when Gavin drove up to the house. He was surprised to see Savana's blue car in front of the garage. She was usually with her friends until late. A nervous feeling bubbled in his stomach. Something must have happened.

Gavin quickly stepped up to the porch and entered the house through the kitchen door. "Anyone home?"

A groan answered. It came from Savana's room. Gavin rushed down the hallway.

"What's going on? Are you alright?" He looked around her bedroom and saw she was in bed.

The blanket burrito rolled over. Savana's face poked out. Gavin raised his bushy eyebrow and laughed. His round belly moved up and down. "What are you doing?" He was more amused than worried.

Unrolling herself out of her blanket, Savana sighed. "I was enjoying some peace and quiet. I had a nasty headache."

"Oh, so that's why you're home so early." Gavin was relieved it wasn't something serious.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little tired and hungry." Savana stretched her arms.

Gavin smiled. "Well, I was planning on cooking something special for dinner tonight."

Savana lit up. "Is Jesimae coming over tonight instead of tomorrow?" Gavin's sister was the best.

He felt guilty again. "No, she's coming tomorrow, like usual." He hesitated as he saw his daughter's disappointed expression. "I have something important to talk to you about Savana." He finally said.

She felt a sharp twist in her stomach. As she stared at her dad, she sat up straight in bed. Her dad was like a teddy bear to her. He can be overprotective at times. "What is it?" Savana asked.