47. Happy Birthday

The next day, Savana woke up and expected to see a bunch of texts from Landon. But there wasn't. None at all. She felt a sudden wave of disappointment and hurt. It was all still very confusing for her.

She wondered if he had gone straight home last night and passed out. Or if he drove back to his friends and drank even more. Savana was still worried about him. But she was still upset at how he acted last night. She couldn't believe how out of control he had gotten with her. The thought of confronting him again sent her stomach spinning.

After Cully and Faye woke up, they asked how Savana was feeling. She lied and said she was okay. They knew she was lying and decided to take Savana on a memorable birthday trip. They wanted to help her get Landon off her mind.

It was a two-hour drive, but it was worth it. The girls traveled to an indoor water park. It was the most fun any of them had in a long time.

The whole place was decorated like a jungle. Jungle landscapes were painted on the walls. Statues of leopards, monkeys, and alligators surrounded the pools. Tropical plants and trees were scattered throughout the park. They swam in the deepest pool and dove to the bottom. They laughed and screamed as they slid down the water slides. And finally, they relaxed in the lazy river, giggling as they checked out all the cute guys parading around.

Hours later, they decided they had enough of chlorine and their fingers pruning. They gathered up their things and changed in the locker room. On their way back to Unity, they stopped at Savana's favorite fast-food place.

While eating, Savana heard her phone go off. She quickly picked it up and was disappointed. It wasn't Landon apologizing. Her dad asked her what she wanted for dinner later that night. She replied with "pizza" and set her phone down.

"Was that Landon?" Faye asked.

"No." Savana said as she bit into her burger.

After eating, Cully continued driving. She looked in her review mirror at Savana sitting in the back seat.

"So, when are you breaking up with him?"

"Cully, it's her birthday. Maybe it can wait." Faye suggested.

"What a perfect birthday present to break up with your douchebag boyfriend." Cully smiled.

"She's right, Faye. I should just do it and get it over with. It's not like I'm taking him to prom anyway." Savana looked out the window, watching the other cars go by.

"We can come with you if you want." Faye offered.

"I'd like that." Savana truly didn't feel comfortable being alone with Landon again.

"Is he working today?" Cully asked.

"No, I don't think so." Savana wasn't entirely sure, but he should be at the Hardware Store since he lives above it.

"Text him saying you want to meet up at the park. We'll come with." Cully felt ready to fight if he made a scene.

"Okay." Savana texted Landon. Surprisingly he responded right away.

"He says he'll be there soon. And I didn't tell him you guys would be there too."

"Good." Cully never trusted Landon.

Forty minutes later, Cully pulled into the Lake Maiden parking lot. They saw Landon sitting on a swing. Savana remembered this was how she found him the night they first kissed. Her stomach twisted again.

"Do you want us to stay in the car or come out with you?" Faye asked.

Savana took off her seatbelt and opened the door. "Stay in here for now. You'll know if I need you to come." She imagined how Landon could get aggressive with her again.