20. Alcohol Free

The sun set that Saturday as Ezra put wood in the fire ring. Savana was sitting at the patio table, looking at Cully and Faye, staring at Ezra. They both looked hypnotized by his fire-making skills.

A few yards away, Damon chopped some wood. He was shirtless, and the last bit of sunlight made the sweat on his chest glimmer. Savana caught herself staring at him. She didn't want the same drooling expression as Cully or Faye.

Savana admitted Damon was attractive. Still, she didn't like how much of a jerk he was to Landon without giving any real reason. She was surprised Damon showed up at their bonfire. The girls convinced Michael to let them host a party that weekend.

Landon sat across the patio table from Savana. He was talking about his new job at the hardware store. She was impressed with how quickly he learned everything in a few days. But she was annoyed with him only talking about work.

"Didn't you invite anyone else over?" Landon looked around the backyard. There was a large garden and a stone-paved patio with a table, chairs, and a couch. The fire ring was in the middle of the patio. He noticed Savana staring at Damon and felt frustrated.

Savana snapped out of her daze and was surprised when he changed the subject. "Oh yeah, no." The girls tolerated only a few other people in their class. "We invited some people from our class, but apparently, they went to a party in Sumner instead."

Ezra looked up from the fire. "It's another Jensen party."

Landon leaped out of his chair, and it fell over. "Shit! We should have gone there instead! They always have a shit ton of booze!" Everyone glared at him in silence. "I'm just kidding!" Landon picked his chair back up and sat down again. He knew he was supposed to slow down partying since moving into the upstairs apartment of the hardware store. Jesimae would kick his ass out. She was scary.

Ezra returned to poking at the fire with a stick. "Remember, you don't need alcohol to have fun guys." Landon and everyone sipped their sodas.

Faye wondered if Haden was at that party too. She considered inviting him to the bonfire but decided against it because Savana might have felt awkward.

Cully frowned, "Sorry, I couldn't get anything else to drink. My mom and dad aren't around and they don't allow alcohol unless they're home."

"Well aren't you a goody goody?" Landon mumbled. Everyone ignored him.

Faye asked, "Where are they anyway? And Troy?"

"Troy is at Nick's again. Mom had a work trip out of town. And my uncle asked dad to help him move today. Actually, I'm surprised he's not back already. He did say that if he came back early enough, he would at least get us some hard lemonade."

Landon wrinkled his nose. "Ew."

"Oh, you don't need to drink anything anyway, remember the last time?" Damon yelled out to Landon from across the fire.

Landon continued to sip his soda in silence. This bonfire wasn't going as well as they wanted.

Savana sighed. "At least your parents let you have people over when they're gone. My dad would never let me have you guys over if he wasn't home."

Cully sighed and stared at the fire. "I don't know. I feel like there's something wrong with my parents. Now they're not talking at all."

Suddenly, Ezra jumped up from this chair and clapped his hands together. "Alright! Enough of this depressing mood. Cully, where's the radio?"

Cully was startled when Ezra jumped up. "It's in the garage."

Ezra grabbed her hand and pulled her out of her chair. "Let's go get it and dance!"

Savana noticed Damon watching her from across the fire. Orange light danced across his face. She quickly turned her head back towards the garage. She wondered what his problem was. He barely spoke to her since he arrived.

Ezra returned with the radio in his arms, blaring music. Cully was close behind with a huge smile. But she suddenly frowned when Ezra approached Faye and asked her to dance. Cully felt embarrassed to think Ezra wanted to dance with only her.

Landon noticed Cully's face blank and got up. "Let's dance."

Cully gave him a small, shy smile. "Oh, yeah, cool."

Landon started break dancing. He failed at it. Cully laughed. Even though he could annoy someone easily, he could cheer them up as quickly.

Damon stared at the fire. Watching the flames dance calmed him. Every thirty seconds or so, he looked up at Savana. He wondered why she hadn't danced yet. He saw Ezra and Landon paired up with Cully and Faye. He thought if he asked, she would dance with him too.

Savana stood up as Damon was just about to. He paused and watched her walk toward the patio doors and disappear inside the kitchen.

"Hey Damon, come on! Dance with us!" Faye called out to him. She felt terrible seeing him sitting by himself.

Damon smiled weakly and joined in. He tried not to get too close to Landon, who danced like a fool.

Savana stepped into the dark house. She felt anxious for some reason. She needed to use the bathroom and wash her face. Once she approached the bathroom door, she noticed it was closed, and the light shone at the bottom.

"Um, hello?" Savana knocked on the door. She heard a thud, and she stepped back. Her first thought was Troy. But then she remembered he was staying at his friend's house. The light shut off, and the door swung open.

"Oh, Jesus, Michael. You scared me." Savana gasped and laughed. She looked up at him, and something wasn't right. His eyes looked weird, like he couldn't see her. "Are you okay?" she asked.

Michael placed his hands on her shoulders. "I'm fine sweetie. But I see you keep wanting to peek at me in the bathroom. Naughty girl." He grinned.

" He grinned