46. Dead End

The dead-end road was full of sticks and leaves. The only light was from the moon. Savana could barely see where she was heading but knew she needed to get home. Once she got back on the main road, she would be fine.

"Savana!" Landon called out for her.

Tears finally poured down her face. She didn't know what had just happened. She was so angry. Did Landon think so little of her?

"Wait! Please! Listen to me!" He continued to yell, his voice echoing in the darkness. She could hear him running on the road behind her.

Against her better judgment, Savana paused and listened. She stood behind a tree on the side of the road, hoping he didn't see where she had gone. Her heart pounded in her chest as she tried to remain still and stay hidden.

"Savana! I'm sorry! Please!" It almost sounded like Landon was crying. "I'm sorry! I was a dumbass! I know you wouldn't hurt me like that!"

His steps slowed down as they approached where she hid. "Please, Savana, look at me."

Savana jumped again. It sounded like he was right behind the tree. She slowly turned and poked her head around the tree. She didn't understand why she felt so afraid of Landon now.

Once Landon saw her coming from around the tree, he grabbed her arm and pulled her into his chest. She wanted to fight him off but felt his arms wrap around her in a tight hug. She heard him crying.

"I'm so sorry Savana. I don't know what got into me." He cried into her shoulder. She felt his whole body shake. "I just like you so much. I don't want to lose you."

The only thing Savana could think to do at that moment was to hug him back. They stood there in silence for what felt like hours.

Landon whispered in her ear. "I swear I remember your birthday."

Savana still couldn't say anything. She was still angry but felt the need to comfort him for some deranged reason. She felt a little guilty for slapping him. She didn't mean to make him cry.

After a few more silence moments, Savana spoke.

"I want to go home. Please." She said coldly.

Landon sniffled. "Okay." He sounded defeated.

The drive back to Savana's house was silent. It wasn't until she opened the door that someone spoke again.

"I'm sorry." He turned to her.

She wouldn't face him. "I know."

Savana climbed out of the truck and shut the door. She didn't even turn back to look at him, driving away slowly.

In a daze, Savana walked into her house. She didn't even try to be quiet. Once she got into her room and lay on her bed, she heard the chainsaw noise from her dad's room again. That was when she snapped out of it.

Her whole body trembled. She felt nauseated. Her crying turned into uncontrollable sobbing. She had trouble catching her breath. This feeling scared her. It felt like the world had stopped, leaving her alone.

Somehow, she got her phone out. She needed to talk to someone. The phone rang and rang. Of course, they were probably asleep. Savana choked out a loud cry, scared no one would answer.

"Hello?" A tired voice answered.

Savana tried to speak but couldn't. The only thing the other person could hear was crying.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

"C-Cully. I f-f-fucked up." Savana sobbed loudly. She grabbed her blanket and pushed it hard against her mouth. She couldn't let her dad hear her.