61. Arranged?

Eventually, they all decided it was time for bed. They all walked towards the bedroom. Jade and Savana yawned as they stepped into their room. Wade stopped Reese.

"I don't think you should sleep in that room anymore." Wade said.

"Why's that?" Reese asked. "It's always been our room." Since they started staying at the cabin, Reese, Jade, and the other kids have slept in the same room. The adults had the other room.

"It's different now. Savana is here too. I don't think it's appropriate," Wade said.

Reese raised a brow, "Yeah, so? It wasn't a problem with it being just me and Jade last summer. Wouldn't it have been just as inappropriate?"

Wade frowned. "You two grew up together, it's not the same."

Reese scoffed, "I have always left the room whenever either of us changed clothes. It's not going to be any different with Savana here. I know how to respect a woman."

Wade stepped closer. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Reese smiled. "You know what I meant."

Wade took another step forward but immediately stepped back when he heard Jade from the bedroom. "Reese, you coming to bed?"

Reese called out, "Yup, I'm coming!"

Without another word to Wade, Reese turned to enter the bedroom.

Wade clenched his fists as he turned to go into the second bedroom. As he opened the door, he heard Brad and David snoring peacefully.

After chatting longer, the three teens fell quiet and started dozing off. Not long after the silence, Reese heard a muffled buzzing sound and opened his eyes. He was on the bottom bunk across the room from the girls' bunk. Savana was still on the top while Jade was on the bottom.

Savana's phone cast a soft light, casting shadows over the room. After a few more buzzing sounds he assumed were text notifications, Reese watched Savana slowly sit up and quietly climb down the ladder.

Jade didn't move. She was sound asleep. Once she was out, it was almost impossible to wake her. There had been times when Reese had to shake her to wake up for breakfast.

Reese couldn't ignore his curiosity, so he quietly slipped out of bed and followed Savana as she tiptoed towards the front door. He watched in disbelief as she met Wade outside, their hushed conversation sending a chill down his spine. Something was definitely off.

Though he couldn't make out the words, he did not like their body language. Especially Wade's. It took a lot of him to stop himself from going out there. Even more so after Wade grabbed Savana's hand and held it to his mouth.

"What the fuck?" Reese grumbled to himself. He turned and stormed across the living room into the hall and turned the hall light on, knowing they would see it from outside. After a few seconds, Reese turned it off again and walked back into the bedroom.

Not long after, he heard the bedroom door open and close. Savana looked over at Jade sleeping and sighed in relief. Reese sat up and cleared his throat.

"Holy shit!" Savana spun around. Her hand clamped over her mouth. Her expression was that of a guilty person being caught red-handed.

"What are you doing?" Reese asked calmly.

"Nothing just wanted to walk around. I couldn't sleep." Savana whispered. She looked back at Jade's bed to confirm she was still asleep.

"With Wade?" Reese asked.

"Well, I didn't know he was going to be out there too." Savana couldn't meet Reese's eyes. She felt wrong.

Reese sighed. "Look, Jade isn't going to wake up. It would take a racecar to come crashing in here to wake her. So don't worry about it. Just tell me. Has he said or done anything weird to you?"

Savana froze, "What do you mean?"

"You know he has a fiance right?" Reese asked.

"Wade and Tess are engaged?" Savana plopped down next to Reese on his bed. She wondered how serious their relationship was ever since Jade's sister, Sydney, told her about Wade and Tess living together.

Reese saw the hint of disappointment in Savana's expression. "Yeah, their families are very close. My uncle said it's been planned for years.

"What? Like an arranged marriage?" Savana asked.

"Seems like it. But either way. He's going to get married." Reese sighed. "I don't know what he told you, but don't trust him. I don't you to get hurt."

Savana shook her head. "What do you know? It's like you knew this was going to happen."

"Well, he seems like a loser who just plays with women. I don't like him. You don't deserve to get mixed up with someone like him. Plus he's like twelve years older than us. It's creepy." Reese said.

"Age doesn't matter to me. But you're right, he's going to get married." Savana sighed. "Thanks for telling me."

"You're welcome." Reese smiled and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

Savana leaned her head on his shoulder. "I'm glad I met you. You're such a nice guy."

Reese laughed. "I know."

He froze when he felt Savana move closer to his face. She kissed his cheek. His face warmed.

"I'm going to lay back down. Goodnight." Savana whispered.

Reese whispered back, "Goodnight."

Savana climbed out of his bed and then up the ladder on her bunkbed. As she got comfortable under the layers of blankets, tears slowly rolled down her face. She stared at the ceiling, thinking about the last guy she kissed and how incredibly nice he had been. How unlikely was it that she would see him again? Savana missed Damon more than she would have ever admitted.

 How unlikely was it that she would see him again? Savana missed Damon more than she would have ever admitted