58. The Cabin

Savana took a deep breath, trying to ignore the feeling of embarrassment. She hadn't been there for ten minutes and had already made a fool of herself. Hopefully, Wade would just forget about the whole thing.

She watched him walk out of the room with that smirk on his face. Suddenly, they could hear Jade shouting from outside.

"I found it!"

Savana climbed down from her bed and followed Wade outside. Jade jumped up and down and pointed to her backpack hanging from a branch high up an oak tree.

"Alright, alright, you win." Wade walked over to the tree and started to climb up the branches.

Wade expertly climbed up the tree. His strong hands easily gripped the branches. His broad shoulders and muscular back flexed as he moved from branch to branch, making the climb look effortless. He moved with confidence as his red hair was tousled from the climb.

He quickly reached for Jade's bag and grabbed it with one swift movement. He jumped down from the tree with ease, landing lightly on the ground. He looked at Savana with a mischievous grin before Jade ran up to him.

Jade gave Wade a playful shove, her blue eyes sparkling with laughter. Wade smiled and winked at Savana before Brad called for help setting up the kitchen. The cabin had sat untouched for months.

Wade and Brad worked together to get the kitchen up and running. Jade and Savana watched, giggling as the men argued over the most effective way to arrange the pots and pans.

The girls finished carrying in the groceries. Together, they unpacked and organized the kitchen. Wade and Brad finished setting up the furniture and lighting.

The cabin exterior was weathered and aged wood, but the interior was warm and inviting. The walls were lined with wood paneling, and the floor was covered with a thick, plush rug. A large stone fireplace was situated in the center of the room, and two couches and two recliners were arranged around it.

A few windows let in natural light, and a porch offered a view of the peaceful forest. An old rocking chair sat on the porch, and the sun shone on it, creating a relaxed atmosphere.

Lush greenery surrounded the cabin, and the air was filled with birds chirping and the scent of fresh pine. The cabin looked alive. It made Savana feel alive.

Later that night, they all sat around the large fire ring, watching the orange and yellow flames dance in the dark. Savana felt a sense of peace as the warmth of the fire surrounded her.

Savana looked up at the stars and felt awe at the true beauty of nature. Though she could see the stars at home, it was clearer here. Many more stars were shining brightly than she was used to. Here, there were no towns to pollute the sky.

Jade handed Savana a stick with a marshmallow.

"Marshmallows are required here." Jade smiled.

Savana smiled as she debated whether to burn it or give it a delicious golden skin. She sat quietly, staring at the flames and listening to Brad and Wade talk about their work.

"You know John is getting surgery?" Brad asked Wade, shifting into his oversized camping chair. It was large enough for both Savana and Jade to sit in.

"No, I haven't heard that." Wade sat in his small camping chair, sweeping the loose sand around the fire ring with his boots.

"I hear David is going to be covering his area," Brad said.

"They better not keep him over there. David's the only one who can fix the sealer." Wade scoffed.

Jade finished spinning her marshmallow and lifted the stick out of the fire. "David is Reese's uncle. They're up here all the time too."

"Sweet." Savana smiled. She hadn't seen Reese in a while. He has never made her feel uncomfortable. It would be nice to see him again.

After another hour of staring at the fire, Brad yawned and stood up. "Well, I'm hitting the hay. Don't stay up too late girls."

"We won't." Jade smiled at her dad.

Savana stared at the fire, waiting for another marshmallow to roast at the end of her stick. Then, from the corner of her eyes, she noticed something moving. 

Flames reflected off Wade's eyes. He moved his chair closer to her. Savana shifted into her chair, hearing it creak under her. Suddenly, she panicked at the thought of the chair breaking.

"You like it burnt?" Wade chuckled.

"What?" Savana straightened, her eyes not leaving his.

Wade pointed to the black mess at the end of her stick.

"Fuck." Savana hissed as she pulled the stick out of the fire and blew on the flames consuming her marshmallow.

Wade laughed. "I'll eat it." He carefully took Savana's stick, putting his mouth to the charred marshmallow and licking it off.

Savana's eyes widened. She didn't know how to react to that. But she felt something. Something strange. Something deep in her core.

"I like to get mine golden." Jade said as she slowly spun her stick. She acted like Wade's actions were normal. "Here." She offered Wade her smooth golden marshmallow.

Wade smirked as he handed Savana her stick back. His arm reached over Savana's lap toward Jade's hand. "Thanks darling," he said before popping the marshmallow in his mouth.

Jade and Savana laughed and talked while Wade sat in silence. Savana swore Wade looked at her the entire time.

The girls roasted marshmallows until the fire died down.

"I guess that's that." Wade stood up in a swift, fluid motion.

Savana squinted her eyes. It had become a lot darker out with the fire out. The only other light source came from the kitchen window.

"Bedtime!" Jade stood up and nodded at Savana to follow her.

Savana slowly got out of her chair and stretched. She stretched her arms up and rotated her neck. The brightly speckled sky caught her attention again. The stars were more brilliant than anything she had seen.

There was a tug on her heart. Her lips curled up, and a tear slid down her cheek. It surprised her. She quickly wiped it away before looking back at the cabin. Then she saw Wade watching her.

"You girls go on. I'll make sure the fire goes out completely." Wade waved at them. The kitchen light shed a dim light on his face. His smile made Savana's stomach flutter.

"Goodnight!" Jade waved back.

"Goodnight," Savana said quietly. She didn't wave because she really didn't feel like heading to bed yet.

 She didn't wave because she really didn't feel like heading to bed yet