40. Some Improvement

Later that week, when Savana got home from school, it was already dark out. She warmed up some leftovers and sat on the couch. Gavin asked her how tutoring was coming along. She kept her words at a minimum. He knew more was happening with her, and it hurt him to see it and think she wouldn't tell him about it.

A few hours later, Gavin finally went to bed. Savana took a shower and texted Landon. After a few days of working with Damon, she felt more productive and motivated. She knew her stuff, but she had been in such a funk because of lack of sleep. Damon reminded her that she was intelligent and capable of pursuing whatever she wanted in a career.

Another hour passed when she and Landon parked at their usual spot. She talked about school and how she felt better about it.

"Oh yeah, I guess I didn't tell you my detention was with Damon." Savana laughed at the situation. She assumed Landon would find it funny too.

"What?" Landon's voice became cold.

"Um, yeah? I said I was tutored during my detentions. Damon's doing it." Savana didn't see why Landon would be mad about it.

"Are you guys alone?" Landon's eyes widened.

"Yeah? Why?" Savana raised an eyebrow.

Landon raised his arms and shouted. "Why?! I don't want you to be alone with him!"

"Woah!" Savana raised her voice louder. "He's basically my teacher now! Nothing else is going on! Don't be so fucking jealous!"

Landon was silently fuming. He was already nervous about Damon when she first told him the shocking news of him being a student teacher in one of her classes. But now, he feels even more frustrated about it.

Savana lowered her voice and tried to calm herself down. "And another thing, I need to start getting more sleep. That's the main reason why school is sucking for me. We can't meet like this so often."

"What the fuck? So you're going to spend more time with him than with me?" Landon wasn't keeping his silence anymore.

Savana couldn't keep her voice down anymore. "At least he's helping me! At least he thinks I can succeed in life! What about you? You just think we should work at the Hardware Store forever! Sorry, but I want to do something more meaningful with my life!"

Landon's face was red. She was scared of what he would do next. Then he sighed loudly. "Alright, fine. If that's what you want to do." He drove back to her house.

Once he reached the end of the driveway, he got out, opened her door, and helped her get down. "Go get some sleep, babe." Landon kissed her sweetly on the lips and got back in his truck.

Savana was shocked. She thought he would put up more of a fight. He seemed angry and jealous at first. He seemed to be growing up a bit. She smiled and walked back to the house. Soon, she crawled into bed and fell asleep.

The next day was Friday, and her big essay was due. She completed it on time and was confident it would at least get a B. She looked at her clock and saw she still had an hour and a half before school started.

"Mr. Fillens will shit himself." Savana laughed as she crawled out of bed. She would get there early and show them she wanted to work hard.

Once she stepped outside and rushed to her car, a black shadow appeared in the corner of her eye. She spun around and saw it disappear behind the garage. She froze in place, feeling a chill run down her spine. After a minute, she cautiously walked forward and peered behind the garage but saw nothing.

Taking a deep breath, she hurried to her car and drove away. She fought with herself not to look in her review mirror, afraid of someone looking back at her. This was the first time Savana felt the eerie feeling of someone watching her since she started seeing Landon.

 This was the first time Savana felt the eerie feeling of someone watching her since she started seeing Landon