49. One Reveal

"Who?" Nicole asked again, still frozen on the couch.

"You know, Ezra, Jesimae's son?" Faye couldn't believe her mom had forgotten who Ezra was.

But Nicole didn't forget. Although she never imagined things would go this far.

"Oh my God." Nicole put her hand over her mouth. She felt like she would be sick.

Faye couldn't understand her mom's reaction. "What, Mom? What's wrong?" The room seemed to be shrinking around her.

"You can't date him, Faye," she whispered. It was as if she was talking to herself.

"What? What do you mean?" Faye didn't think her mom would mind. He was a nice guy. Her mom knew that. Maybe it was because he was older.

Nicole didn't answer. Faye was frustrated. What was her mom not telling her? She read a mix of emotions from her. Sadness and hatred. "Mom?"

She grabbed Faye's hands. "Listen Faye, you can't date Ezra. You can't be with him."

Faye shook her hands away from her mom's. "What are you talking about? I can date anyone I want. I'm sixteen. And I thought you liked him. He's your best friend's son." What was happening? She felt claustrophobic suddenly.

"Yes, my best friend's son. The same best friend who also liked your dad. Who married him. Who had a son with him before I stole him away from her."

Nicole started crying. She was so upset with the situation and hoped she never had to tell Faye everything that happened with her father. She didn't want Faye to be ashamed of her.

"What do you mean? Jesimae was married to my dad? And my dad had a son with her. So, I have a brother?" Faye moved away. She knew what her mom was trying to tell her, but she didn't want to believe it.

Nicole leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Faye, and cried more. "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you before. I didn't think something like this would happen."

Faye's face turned as white as a ghost. "I think I'm going to be sick." Faye took off for the bathroom.

Nicole ran after her and stood outside the door for a few minutes. "Are you okay hun?"

"No! I'm not! This is disgusting! I can't believe this!" Faye cried out as she sat next to the toilet.

Nicole stepped into the bathroom and hugged her daughter tight. "You didn't know and it's all my fault."

It was silent for a few minutes as they sat on the bathroom floor.

"So, I guess that's why I felt a connection with Ezra. He told me before about how he didn't know his dad either." Faye wiped her face and let out a low laugh. "And it turns out we were talking about the same guy." She looked up at her mom. "What do I do, Mom?"

Nicole was relieved that Faye was taking it better than she feared. She thought Faye would run off and never speak to her again. She hugged her daughter again.

"I'm going to call Jesimae and let her know what's going on. She will tell Ezra. It'll be okay." Nicole hoped Ezra's reaction wouldn't hurt Jesimae or Faye.

"I want to be there when she tells him," Faye said. She felt terrible that Ezra would feel this disgust and shame that she felt. She wanted to support him.

"Okay, I'll ask Jesimae if that's okay."

Hours later, Ezra rushed to his mom's house in Unity. The voicemail she left sounded urgent. He wondered why she wanted to talk to him in person. He thought someone in the family had died. He hoped it wasn't Grandma Greta or Grandpa Jasper.