25 - The Puddle

After meeting Ian's friends, she wondered if he really wanted what they had. Maybe it wasn't different from Lilli and Zach. Although her friends weren't having a baby, at least not for a while. Visiting a baby scared Ainsley and the little person wasn't even born. Maybe she and Ian wouldn't be hanging out by then.

Ainsley felt her flutters turn into a shiver. She wanted to keep seeing him until... Until she didn't know when. If she wanted the whole deal, Ian wasn't a candidate. Good thing neither wanted what others expected.

Ian had a way of clearing her mind of all thoughts, and as she settled in his arms with their breathing leveling off, contentment surrounded her. It was Wednesday night, and Ian had had a stressful week with his staff issues. He no longer shared any details with her, so she had been taken aback when he shared with Josie. It took her a minute to remember it had been before they started dating.

The confidentiality agreement stressed her, because she loved to talk, and it was a good story. Maybe not for Ian because it was his problem. Ainsley was glad he was relaxed. She had the magic, sex.

His breathing was rhythmic. Ainsley smiled because he was asleep. She debated staying, but carefully got up and dressed. His words came back to her about how his last relationship ended. The woman had wanted more than he was willing to give. Ainsley wasn't ready for their thing to end. She liked being with him too much.

She texted Ian Thursday morning to see if he wanted to commute together. He called her.

"I overslept. I never set my alarm."

"I feel guilty for letting you fall asleep, but you needed it."

"It's fine. I'll make my meeting but go without me."

"Okay. Remember drinks tonight."

"Right. Okay."

He didn't seem too enthused. Lilli wasn't sure if Zach would make it. He had a meeting with a Roche-Sumner editor and was planning to stop by legal to see JJ. Ian was the first guy she ever wanted her friends to meet.

She made her way to work on her own and arrived early. Her day went well. Even Henry had calmed down. Her phone lit up with her mother's face. Carolyn Douglas knew not to call her at work. She texted her multiple texts a day instead.

"What's wrong?"

"Wrong? Nothing. Your sister is pregnant."

"Really! Congrats. I have to get back to work."

JJ must have asked Zach to stop by so he could tell him. She and Violet weren't best friends but it would have been nice to hear from her own sister. At four-thirty, Ian texted to let her know he was tied up in HR and would meet her.

When she walked in Katie smiled. "I haven't seen you for weeks. Another date?"

Ainsley laughed. "I'm meeting Lilli. I'm seeing someone. He'll be here later."

"Finally! This is on me." She handed her a red wine.

"Thanks."

"Hey, Katie."

Ainsley turned to see beautiful Lilli. "Table?"

"Yeah. Where's dreamy?" Lilli laughed at herself.

"Ian. He's tied up. He'll be here. So my mother called. Violet is pregnant."

"Really? Congrats, auntie."

"Thanks, but shouldn't she have called me herself?"

"Your mother was probably just excited. I want to hear about your romance."