36 - Stupidity

Felix looked at him and meowed. "I know. I blew it."

He opened the fridge and shut it quickly. The ingredients for shrimp tacos stared back at him. Even the food thought he was an idiot. Lashing out, he canceled his order. His punishment would be food shopping.

Never had he felt alone, but he did to his core. It scared him. It was his punishment, a life sentence for stupidity.

To avoid his silent apartment, he went climbing every night. The hardest part was seeing Henry. He wanted to punch the guy. What a joke. He was a computer geek who never hit anyone in his life. He would like to pummel himself for being so stupid. Instead, he sent text after text.

Not only did the insensitive prick ruin things with Ainsley, he also told Val about his new single status. The gym should be an escape, but he had a persistent woman trying to get his attention. She stepped closer to ask how he was with a voice laced with concern. Her breasts brushed his arm, and he stepped back. She wasn't who he wanted. Sex was sex. He had a hand to get off, and it didn't come with complications. He missed something way beyond the sex. Something he would never have again. When they were together, he needed to be closer, physically. In bed, they merged into one, skin to skin, talking dirty, and fitting together like a puzzle.

Val rubbed his back. "I can take your frown away."

Henry walked by. "Dude, you're the man."

Val laughed. "I bet you are." Her low voice in his ear caused repulsion.

"I have to go."

His quick strides felt like running. He had text messages, but not the one he wanted. He sent another apology. Sighing loudly, he read one from his uncle. Brooke wanted to go to the gym.

A white lie was meant to protect his family from finding out the truth that he was an idiot. David responded with concern. Maybe he shouldn't have texted that his knee was sore. His phone rang while he was walking from the station.

"Ian, are you okay?" The doctor didn't sound calm.

"Just overuse." Did his nose grow? He almost wished for knee pain. It was a lot better than the constant aching in his head and tightness in his chest.

"Okay." She wants to talk to you.

"Ian, can you take me?"

"Sorry, kid. Not this weekend."

Her voice sounded like a pout. He could imagine her face. "Can I come see Ainsley?"

"No!" He took a deep breath. "She has plans." He would like to say laughing at him but he had heard her tears. "We have no time this weekend." He touched his nose. The constriction in his chest cavity tightened. "I'm sorry."

He sat in the dark and looked at his phone. Not even Felix wanted to be with him. He really wanted to know how her interview went. He texted her but didn't expect an answer. Henry thought his went great.

Ian had almost choked on his sandwich when Henry showed up bragging. Instead, he chucked it in the wastebasket. "What did he ask you?"

"About my experience at HMH. Then he went off on teamwork. I told him teamwork affects productivity with too much socializing."

Good thing he wasn't eating or he would choke. Somehow he doubted Henry could save his life.

"The best part was he seemed to know we were good friends. He said you're a good man, but he didn't know you were related to the Sumners."

"I'm not. I never said I was."

"But Christmas?"

Ian sighed. "I said I went to their house."