3 - Please!

Two weeks after Thanksgiving, Rose finally had a weekend off. David planned the perfect date, in his mind at least. He wanted to cook for her.

Like a gentleman, he drove to Arlington to pick her up. His ulterior motive was so Rose could relax and have a drink.

As he stood on the doorstep of her family home, he felt like he was in highschool again. He dated one girl his senior year. His mother's harping overshadowed the fun. She kept reminding him to respect her and for god's sake be smarter than your brother and use protection. His mother's nagging was effective, because David had never not worn a condom. His small head wanted to wear one soon.

Mrs. MacInnis answered with a smile. "David Gillespie, come sit down."

He rubbed his damp hands on his thighs and wished he dressed better to meet her parents than faded jeans and a sweater. He had dodged the bullet the night of their first dinner date, first, but not only. In two weeks, he had eaten with Rose all but three nights and greeted the workers in the hospital cafeteria by name. Every meal ended with a kiss. He was definitely looking forward to more kisses.

David sat on an uncomfortable sofa in the formal living room. Hopefully, they had a comfortable room to watch TV. As he looked around, he saw vases and even a statue, but no television.

Mr. MacInnis cleared his throat. "Rose tells us you're an engineer."

He nodded. "Yes, sir. Where is she?"

"I'm right here." She bounced in the room wearing jeans and a festive sweater. It wasn't ugly, but it had snowflakes on it. He thought she looked great in scrubs, but he liked her jeans even better. Rose reached out her hand. "Come on. Mom, Dad, you know his parents. He's from a nice family and we aren't seventeen."

David stood as Rose pulled on his hand. "It was nice to meet you."

Once outside, she moaned. "They would have pried until you told them your salary and social security number."

He laughed. "You're exaggerating, but seriously that sofa is awful."

She laughed. "It's an antique. That entire room is over the top."

He opened the passenger door for her. Once he joined her in the car, he leaned in and brushed his lips on hers.

She smiled. "I'm curious to see your place."

"It's small, but I decorated for you."

"You did?"

"Kinda. I don't have a tree but I hung a string of light around the slider to the balcony."

"Festive. I'm sure."

"Are you mocking me?"

She giggled. "A little." He didn't mind because her hand rested on his thigh.

"I'm glad to spend longer than thirty minutes together."

"Me too." She squeezed his thigh, and he hoped she was telling him the same thing his little head was thinking.

His palms grew damper as he drove through Cambridge. "My place is pretty lame."

She laughed. "And mine isn't."

"My brother teases me, but he has a condo in Back Bay."

"Your brother is a famous musician."

"He's not that famous."

"He has a Wikipedia page."

David looked at her. "Seriously? I never googled him." He chuckled. "Teasing him will be fun." She laughed. "But seriously, we're going to see the Christmas concert next Saturday. I can ask for an extra ticket."