32 - Soon

Ian pasted on his charming smile for Ainsley's parents. He learned to play the game living in his stepfather's home. Charles Browning had certain expectations and never afforded Ian any slack. Table manners were of the utmost importance. The man cared only about money and what others thought of him. The joke was on him because he was a criminal who fled the country and escape extradition.

Ian smiled as Mrs. Douglas asked about his lineage. "My mother is from an old New York family. My grandfather worked on Wall Street. He's gone now."

"Brownings?"

"No, that's my mother's husband's name. I guess she kept it for my sister, or it has a nice sound to it." People in publishing knew her name.

"She's been married three times?"

Ian swallowed as Ainsley smiled. Was she enjoying this? "No. My parents never married. Their relationship was limited to raising me."

Carolyn pursed her lips. "Oh. And your father?"

"Has never married. He's a renowned classical pianist. He's played around the world."

Ainsley whispered, "You never said renowned."

Ian wanted to tease that he was on YouTube, but thought better of it. "He is well known in classical circles."

"I guess he doesn't collect groupies." Ainsley held her Mimosa below her grin.

"Just some wealthy women who are patrons of the symphony." Ian suspected his host might know a few women to fit the description.

"So your stepfather is related to Lois Steele?"

"Yes, my sister and I think of the boys as cousins."

"You must know our daughter is married to James Sumner."

He smiled. "Yes, I was at the wedding. Somehow I missed the prettiest bridesmaid." He watched Ainsley's cheeks change shade.

When the conversation moved on he relaxed. She had accepted his illegitimate status. He didn't care, but he didn't want it to harm his mother's reputation. Neither she nor Kurt hid him away. He remembered his mother's anger when her first husband called him a bastard. As an adult, he understood the logical conclusion to his being a bastard meant his mother was a whore. He pulled back his shoulders. Anita Browning was no whore.

After their food arrived, Mr. Douglas put his coffee cup down. The older man didn't have a mimosa. "Son, what kind of car do you drive?"

Ian couldn't hold in his laugh. "Ainsley warned me you would ask. I don't actually drive."

"What?" Carolyn looked like he said he ate from the litter box.

"Mom, he grew up in New York."

"And came to Boston for college. I've never needed to learn, and it isn't practical."

Ainsley nodded. "My car just sits. I haven't driven it since Lilli's wedding."

Carolyn swallowed her pride. "Where did you go to school?"

Ian answered with complete confidence and impressed both parents. The more challenging question was why it was so important to him?

Ainsley squeezed his hand, as he focused on her father's questions about IT. He was an entrepreneur so he had enough general knowledge to carry on a discussion. Seeing boredom on the wife's face, Ian changed the subject hoping Ainsley would not hate him.

"You must be excited about becoming a grandmother."

They were halfway through their meals and Ainsley was on her second mimosa when her mother stopped talking about the baby who had months before it was to be born. Hopefully, Olivia would make his mother equally happy someday.