27 - Guests

Ainsley had expected a summons all day. As the hours drew on she felt more on edge. Agreeing to lunch with Rhys, she hoped to get her mind off the pending meeting. She should have known Lilli would have told Rhys. Her personal life might as well go viral.

When Catrina appeared telling they needed her in HR, all heads turned. Did her boss know what was going on?

As she left, she heard Nina answering nosey Henry. "She's probably getting a promotion. She deserves it."

Nina had her own problems when her laptop screen went black. An old guy Ainsley had never seen came to fix it. After he left, Nina complained she missed the boys.

Ainsley hoped they did not fire them. As the time dragged on, she convinced herself it was why Ian had been so stressed. In the conference room, his face looked weary as their eyes connected. She tried to look away, but was drawn into the familiar green.

Somehow she switched her focus to the boys who sat up straight, dressed better than she had ever seen them. Taking a seat she listened as Logan apologized. Relief spread through her. HR would not set up an apology if they were firing them. Ian's jaw tensed as Logan admitted to liking her. The poor thing had a swollen red blemish on his jawline. Stress. He had to be nine years younger than her.

Ainsley didn't care if Josh knew about her and Ian. She wanted to go home and try to salvage Ian's week.

Greasy pepperoni pizza was exactly what she needed. "Are you done with the whole thing?"

"Hopefully. They're good kids."

She nodded. "They are still kids."

He smiled. "They like you."

She lifted her chin. "What's not to like?"

"Nothing. I like all of you."

"I was going to encourage you to get some rest, but keep talking like that and I'll change my mind."

He took her hand. "I want you in my arms. Sleep can come later."

Both were tired out when they finally slept. Ainsley woke first and didn't want to disturb Ian. She woke Felix and fed him to keep him from bothering his cat-dad. She would intercept the grocery order if he was still asleep. First she went home to see her own neglected cat and shower. Contentment was new for her. Typically restlessness defined her.

When her phone rang, she hoped it was Ian. No such luck.

"Ainsley, I want to meet this boy."

"Mom, he's not a boy."

"He is to me. Why didn't I know Anita had a son? He wasn't on Violet's guest list."

Ainsley imagined her scanning the file of names and addresses. "I'm sure he was. His name is Ian Gillespie."

"Not Browning?"

"No. That is Anita's first husband's name. Ian's father is Gillespie."

Let Caroline figure it out. "What does he do?"

"Ian runs the IT department at Roche-Sumner."

"No, no. I mean his father. Is he respectable?"

Ainsley rolled her eyes. "He's a concert pianist. He plays in the symphony."

"I like classical music."

Ainsley smiled. "Ian plays too."

"Fine. I'll plan dinner at the house."

"No. Mom. We're not that serious."

"Not serious? The Dwyers are a respectable family to marry into."

"I'm not getting married." She stamped her foot.